2018 Red Burgs - time to crack a few!

I worked through the Forey, Lucien Jacob and Cerberon range of '18’s yesterday. The ripeness of the vintage is evident but I really enjoyed the wines. There is flesh and lusciousness and an expressiveness now. I suspect they will be a bit like 2009. Requiring extended bottle age to show their full potentials.

Thank you x 2 - first for the reviews and second for letting me know Claude was still reviewing wine. I was a subscriber once upon a time, and then he and I lost touch. Very glad to know he is still at it. We did not chat very often, but there have been a number of critical points where he gave incredible advice.

Only tasted from barrel samples that had been prepared some time in advance, and there were questions about how fresh the samples were…

Although I have north of 500 bottles of 2018 Burg in the cellar or on the way, the Lion’s Share are all white. Maybe I missed some, but I don’t think most of the Reds have been released yet. Basically the only GC I have is the MM GE.

you have close to 40 cases of whites in one vintage ?

I have 2 cases of 2015 white burg and have wondered if that’s too much, lol.

so whens the 2018 Burg party?

Probably in a few years. But definitely not until these tariffs are gone and I can import the bulk of it from Europe.

Yeah I think I went a bit overboard. Just been buying what looks good, not really counting. But it looks like only 400 including reds.

2018 Lucien Jacob Savigny-Les-Beaune
This is all cherry fruit, red and black of good density. Yes it’s ripe but not too ripe. There’s some real sinew to the back end, good tannic backbone and medium plus acidity. A baby, but outstanding at this level.

I wish you good fortune in the wars (premox) to come…

That’s more than all the whites in my entire cellar not counting champagne haha

luckily, with 40 cases of whites, a loss of a single soldier is a statistic, not a tragedy?

I think the odds of it being a single soldier are pretty unlikely!

Had a white Hauts Cote de Nuit at 14% alcohol. Tells you much you need to know.

my only 2018 red burg purchase clocks in at 11.5% [whistle.gif]

Is a sample set of one sufficiently large to predict an outcome with high confidence?

About tariffs?

Wow. That sounds really impressive. She has made some wonderful wine over the years. I was at her cellars in 2011 (before she moved to MSD) and tasted through her wonderful 2010s. If the 2019s are better than her 2010s, my only comment is WOW.

She told me that 2019 is the first vintage where, right after harvest when the wines were just put in barrel, she was 100% happy with all her choices and how everything had turned out.

Not sure about that, but it tasted ripe. Not looking forward to it’s sister red at 14.5%…those comparisons of Burgundy-Barolo might not be that far off!