2018 Bordeaux - What are you buying (and why)?

Investing is when you review your savings account, 401k 5 year performance, sign up for Experian and see your credit score, and review any debt calls that may be actionable before buying wine.

Will you take good care of me when I am incapable of taking care of myself and give me grandchildren?

Great answer

Couldn’t agree more. I always appreciate that Jeff includes the technical data into his notes. I’m always surprised when other critics don’t do this.

Noah,

Was your sinus surgery a success I hope? I had surgery in 2006 and its amazing what a good surgeon can do for the olfactory senses. Terroir and precision come much more onto focus, while monster California Cabs, and the like, are no longer the wine of choice for me.

Regarding 2018 Bordeaux, I may pick up a few bottles of Leoville Las Cases, and a few bargains, but not much else. I still think 2016 will be the Vintage!

Not sure yet. They had to totally reconstruct my septum and nasal valves in addition to the sinuses and polypectomy and surgery was last week so still very much in the thick of it. I’ve had a few moments of smell so at least know that my olfactory nerve is intact (which is not always the case). And my wife says my snoring is better, which is all the nasal valve repair. We shall see.

Yes to this, and “demand” in the context I mentioned, maybe not clearly, includes the point-driven American market. So, sold out in some places. Last I looked, MacArthur’s still had it.

None, nope, nada…just took delivery of my last 6 btls of 2015…still haven’t bought a 2016…I am strong…I am strong…I am strong…

Caved in and bought some ‘18 Beychevelle in halves as I am loving the case of ‘66 just arrived from London few months ago, now I just need to wait for 30 years!

The 2018 Beychevelle is excellent. OK, the prices have been going up partly due to the Asian market, but one of the best barrel samples I have tried in the last 15 years for this estate.

I don’t think a score of 96-99 puts you among the best wines of the vintage does it? I thought the new Bordeaux scoring system was 100 points very good wine, 96-99 pretty good wine, 90-95 average, under 90 flawed

I’m really bad at math, but that might be 52 years. [wow.gif] I have a chance to make it, we have several recent family members break the century mark.

If I could turn back time on Bordeaux purchases, I’d buy 1/2 of my stuff in 375s, and I would have bought much more.

That’s only Suckling

Nah…halves should cut the waiting time by 15 years…full bottle of Beychevelle normally would take 45 years to show up. [stirthepothal.gif]

Naw, it’s pretty much all the big outlets now, at least when it comes to classed growths

Points restraint by the big three (WA, WS and Vin) plus the ever numbers friendly Suck has not been evident in Bordeaux for sometime now, and maybe it’s due to a re-correlation of scoring approach due to the '09/10 successes and also to all of these pubs wanting to be the prime successor to the RMP points machine empire. But with '18 it’s going to be interesting because of both the hugely reduced output in all of the Bordelaise houses and the fact that this one was like a super successful '14 in terms of both fruits and structure. All I can say is thank god for 17’s miss or this one would currently be even more egregiously priced than was 2010 out of the gate. As for Calon, they might be the early winner thanks to a smart approach to selling the scarcity, but once the right bank in particular picks up on this approach I can’t wait to see how much the vintage prices jump after the 2021 final roll-out has commenced.

That is the first time I have heard somebody compare 2018 to 2014. It sounds as though you attended primeur, could you expand on that please

What do folks think of the Palmer offering/pricing?

I originally had it on my “must have” list, but at $340 (what I can buy it at; I saw it cheaper initially), when it came time to pull the trigger last night, I backed off. It’s expensive, and I think it won’t go up significantly before bottling, so I can wait a couple of years to see how I feel about it.

There are others on a more select “must have” list I will probably buy (I did buy Calon Segur because I think the price will rise), but I think I may as a general matter wait for the wines to be bottled and re-evaluated before purchasing.

I pulled the trigger on Palmer. I don’t think it will be around very long. It sold out in Bordeaux already and the chateau released higher percentage than normal.