2018 Bordeaux Futures - What Did Everyone Buy?

I am curious Jeff, what characteristics of this vintage makes you believe that the best wines will be ready in ten years? I hear there is plenty of acidity, and tannins while ripe, still retain enough structure for the long term. The only vintage I can think of that I would dream of trying at ten years is 2007, a light year lacking in concentration. Nothing I have read or heard suggests that this vintage is light and lacking in concentration.

You are absolutely right when you say maturity depends on the drinker, but even allowing for differing tastes, I have NEVER come across a Bordeaux from a serious vintage that would be ready in ten years. You have indeed tasted the wines; what makes you think they could possibly be ready in 2029?

First future campaign, still at the age (29) it makes sense to buy young Bordeaux and I got caught up in the game-like nature of daily releasesā€¦ also went for some better priced 2014 wines (GPL mainly) but wanted to get a little bit of everything from 2018. Everything in 75cl

6x Laroque
4x Durfort Vivens
3x Calon Segur
3x Malescot St Exupery
3x Meyney
2x Rauzan Segla
2x Carmes HB
2x GPL
2x Berliquet
2x Larcis Ducasse
2x Pedesclaux
2x Chevalier (red)
2x Reserve de la comtesse
1x Gloria
1x St Pierre (St Julien)
1x Pavie Macquin

Was looking for more Rauzan Segla and Carmes HB (maybe some Calon also) but it is sold out or re-priced higher everywhere in France. Iā€™ve already received emails from the main negociant I bought from to suggest adding some Calon (84EUR initially) at 114EUR.
Might add some Larcis and Pavie Macquin.
I also think I pulled the trigger on a couple of wines that I would have been able to easily find at the same price in 2021 also, but thatā€™s ok.

So far, I havenā€™t bought any 2018 yet. But when I do, (and I will) Iā€™ll focus on Pomerol, a few St. Emilion and Les Carmes Haut Brion.

Mark, thatā€™s not exactly what I said.

That being said, 2018 is similar in texture and style to 2009. The tannins are ripe, soft and provide an opulent experience.

To quote meā€¦ ā€œ2018 is an opulent forward vintage, so most upper-end wines be delicious to drink between 10-15 years of age. Yes, theyā€™ll continue improving. But thatā€™s the start of the sweet spotā€

Perhaps you saw my comment to a poster on 2018 Montrose that noted I felt that wine would be interesting to start drinking at 20. The same for LLC, COS, the Frost Growths, Lynch Bages and Pichon Baron for example.

But most upper level 2018 IMO will be just great starting at 10-15 years of age. Of course they wonā€™t be at peak, but theyā€™ll be exciting, sensual wine tasting experiences with secondary nuances shining through.

Lesser wines will be fun to drink at an even younger age.

My first foray into BDX futures. My wife and I were married in 2018 so I figured I should secure some early via futures. Will get the rest when they hit the market in 2021.

Would anyone have any advice for what they did/wished theyā€™d done for anniversary wine? I plan to grab some 18ā€™s from other regions and also fill in over time, but as 18 is special Iā€™d love to secure now. Iā€™ve definitely restrained myself from going too deep just yet. Iā€™m also definitely not as experienced in BDX as many of you.

Thus far Iā€™ve secured:

Calon Segur (1)
Carmes Haut Brion (1)
Chevalier (2)
Clinet (2)
Duhart Milon Rothschild (1)
LLC (1)
Cos (1)
Clos du Marquis (1)
Marquis de Calon (2)
Beau Sejour Becot (1 magnum)

Thank you guys for the insight. Looks like 18 may be a good first year to get into Bordeaux futures. I typically drink big napa cabs but can see things shifting.

Not sure that makes a lot of sense. Why would you get into futures and what does Napa have to do with it? Bordeaux is much bigger and thereā€™s a lot more wine at all price points. Some of them are very much Napa-like, if by that you mean big and ripe, others not so much. But even Napa isnā€™t all Napa-like!

Anyhow, by buying futures you tie your money up for a few years. Why not just buy when the wines come out? It used to be the case that you could save a few bucks, but these days you run the risk of not ever getting your wine if you buy from someone who goes belly-up or just scams you. I donā€™t think provenance is such a game-changer either - if you buy from a retailer, youā€™ll be getting the same provenance that youā€™d get from that retailer who bought the wines to sell. Rather than sail into buying futures, Iā€™d try a bunch of wine to figure out what, if anything, you like and may prefer to Napa.

Or, why not just buy 2016s?

Very different style of wine

They both appear critically acclaimed. You scored the 16 and 18 Les Carmes the same. Etc.

My comment was based on this being a newbie into Bordeaux. If not, then my post has less merit, but Gregā€™s advice is solid.

None. Blew my spending money on 2016 (great vintage and sonā€™s birth year).

But as I said, itā€™s the style of 2018 that makes it worth buying. And yes, my comment was for all wine buyers, not just the OP.

I bought a case of Lanessan, but other than that I am finding 2014 and 2015 versions of what I like for lower prices than 2018 futuresā€¦before retail case discounts.

So I would buy more futures why?

My local retailer just got in a big chunk of fine Bordeaux from 2000-2005, including Lalande, Montrose and Ducru. I can buy the 2005 Lalande for $20 less than 2018 futures and only $20 more than 2017. No brainer right there. The 2000 Montrose is only $20 more than the 2016. The 2001 Montrose is less that 2015 and 2018. Another no brainer.

Iā€™m sure Leve will chime in that these new vintages are simply better - which we can all debate - but letā€™s be practical here: You are getting the same Chateaux with 13-18 years of maturity on them, and frankly, would you rather drink a mature 95 point wine or a baby fresh 97 point wine? Or wait 18 years to see? Another no brainer to me.

2 points is way less than the margin of error!

That means that the 2018 futures are working - make expensive back vintages seem ā€œcheapā€ by comparison.

Perhaps. But, I can more readily buy that 2000 Montrose today than I could 18 years ago. Easy decision for me.

The 2001 vintage, on the other hand, was not expensive back then. Nor was 2004.

Nothing. Iā€™m sure there are some decent wines but the styles of most chateaux are now way too modern for me. I would also seriously worry that the most of the high-alcohol early drinking wines wonā€™t hold together for the long haul - if thereā€™s any doubt about that Iā€™m out. Classic vintages is still cheaper so itā€™s a no brainer really.

Bought a bunch of 2018 but nothing from Bordeaux for a few years now, despite it making up c. 40% of my cellar.

Clinet
SHL
Gazin
Pape Clem
Larcis Ducasse
La Gaffeliere
Troplong
Figeac

None. Plenty in the cellar from the era when pricing was cost related and marked up fairly with additional value in futures, not todayā€™s value pricing futures based on perception.

The first majorly hyped vintage saw 1982 First Growths at $500-$600 per case. I suggest pause to reflect, backfill like crazy and wait for the market to correct, possibly with the the upcoming recession. Anyone know about back vintage inventories still at the chateaux? Some has been dumped in auctions. Curious.

Old guy perspective: every vintage is an annual game of market manipulation. How many potential 100 pointers this vintage? Really?

A few three packs of magnums:
Palmer
Ducru
LLC
Pichon Lalande
Lafite
VCC
Figeac

and a single magnum of Lafleur.