2018 Bedrock Winter Release

Thanks for the early notes, Morgan!!!
This is a very exciting release! :slight_smile:

As Mr Twain-Peterson pointed out in the “Santa Clara & San Benito Wine Heritage” thread, the “Vineyard Under the Mountain” is the very same plot of old vines that was formerly known as the “Maria Carter Vineyard”, used by David Bruce for some of his early wines.

With the Bedrock “Wirz Vineyard” Riesling, this makes two wines in the upcoming release that are derived from a historically significant, often overlooked, grape growing region of California.

Are we getting that sensitive now ??

Im a regular buyer of the wines and im curious, if i offended anyone im very sorry

I got on the list starting with the 2012 vintage. My first tastes of the heritage wines were only 2-3 years after bottling. While I enjoyed them, I preferred the single vineyard zins and cut back on heritage buying for a couple years. Now, revisiting some 12’s and 13’s now that they have a little age on them, I am amazed at how beautifully these field blends evolve and the elegance that they show. I am realizing now that I made a mistake cutting back and plan to correct that with this offering. Where do many of you find the sweet spot to be in their drinking windows?

Everyone will have their own opinions on this but for me I try to wait at least 5 years on most of the heritage wines, with the one exception being Dolinsek (and sometimes the Weil mixed blacks)

I would agree.

Ho-leeeee- hitsfan

The only thing that might keep me to 2 cases on this is the fact that the NC Syrah, OVZ, Bedrock V, and Carlisle V are all in the Fall and Winter releases. Never thought I would be so happy not to see any of those.

Morgan- where is the 2016 Hudson? Love that wine!

I believe the 2015 was only just released in november.

Rory- you are right! Should have checked my CT purchases.

Out of curiosity, will we ever see the Abrente Albarino again? Or is that project over?

Morgan,

Curious about that Griffin’s Lair Syrah - why 80% whole cluster and not 100%?

Cheers.

It tends to be a very small berried and loose-clustered site and we have trouble liberating enough juice for adequate early pumpovers by foot-trodding alone.

It was just getting to be too much to manage and there were others things I wanted to focus on. Michael and I had an amicable parting of ways on the project and he will continue to make the Albo and Godello under his Cave Dog label, which he makes at BWC.

Thanks, sounds like I need to check out Cave Dog too!

Me too, I guess. That albarino will be missed in this household.

Do you end up doing separate ferments - one completely destemmed and then one 100% and blend together or?!?!?

Cheers!

In this case it is all one ferment. We trod the whole-cluster element and then crush some over the top to create more juice for early pumpovers. How much we trod is dependent on how much carbonic character we want to create in the wine. If we have multiple lots then we might play with varying levels of whole-cluster (for instance this vintage we have 100%, 50% and 0% WC lots of Bien Nacido X-Block that we will eventually compose a final blend of).

Same as the Bonny Doon fruit?

What are people’s favorites in this offering?

What are the chances of getting a drinkability chart like the one on the Carlisle website?
Could Fred and Wilma put one together?

Phil Jones