2017 vintage 20+ year cellaring suggestions?

yup

if you’re willing to do half bottles to meet the $20 limit, why not consider 750s that are $40?

sauternes and rieslings are always my suggestion for a 21 year old, who maybe hasn’t been doing a ton of drinking yet at that point. sweet wines are a little easier to love with age than reds.

that being said, I think there are some really awesome reds from Oregon that will make it 20+ years from 2017. its not typically the first recc for aging but I’ve had several unassuming 20+ year old Oregon pinots that have been awesome.

Count me in the ‘around $20 to last 20 years is tough’ crowd. I think you should aim closer to $50 average but you can certainly help the average with some $20-25 Rieslings.

That said, I’ll toss a hat into the ring. Check out 2017 Maculan Brentino Merlot-Cabernet from Breganze in the Veneto. I currently represent/sell this wine, but I suggest it not just because it’s good and fits your price point, but also I was able to taste a bottle of the 2001 last December with Angela Maculan and it was in fantastic shape. I daresay still on the younger side of its plateau but had matured nicely. While the blend changes slightly from vintage to vintage the 2017 is 55% Merlot 45% Cabernet and when mature it tastes like a good cru bourgeois Bordeaux.

igmcdowell wrote: ↑Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Huh, Madeira is a great bet. I always have a 10 year bual in the house, but didn’t realize it develops in the bottle.
My understanding is that it basically doesn’t. Maybe over a very long time it does a bit, but I don’t think much would happen in 20 years. Madeira development is all about time in barrel.

Madeira does change in the bottle, but at a glacial rate. 20+ years even to make a dent. D’Oliveiras has a series of “Family” wines which are 30-60 years in the bottle (for 19th century wines) and these are sold at a premium. Glass aging gives an elegance and reduces power and fruit which suits the D’Oliveiras style. I’ve several 19th century bottlings. American cellars used to be famous for their glass aged Madeira preProhibition.

Back to the topic at hand. Terrific 2017s from the Douro. The Niepoort Redoma Branco Riserva is one of the best white Douro wines I’ve had in a long while. 2017 Vintage Ports are especially great. The Noval is terrific as are the other great lodges. Dirk Niepoort said his Vintage Port is the best he’s ever made. Taylors Vargellas Vinha Velha (a select bottling from the Vargellas vineyard) is the best I’ve had, but expensive. Many of the old hands in the Port industry says 2017 is the best since 1945.