2017 Riesling Großes Gewächs

The Zilliken was less refined, riper and delicious !

The Schloss Lieser more bright, tight with stony citrus!

The Lieser Doctor GG was a favourite of mine in the tastings last year.

The 2017 Schloss Lieser Bernkasteler Doctor Riesling Großes Gewächs was one of the youngest showings during this tasting still but with enormous length!

I have a sole bottle of the 2016 Lieser Doctor GG, bought after we tasted at the estate. Has anyone tried both and can compare? Wish I could find it in the U.S.

Only a tasting pour and a year apart. 2017 made a bigger impression on my but both are great.

Same here! But very close indeed…

Preferred both 16 and 17 to 2018 recently.

How did the Fritz Haag fare?

Pretty well actually, already very open and tropical. Not sure if it going to last as long as other wines in this tasting.

Yes, I think I can agree on that. Probably:

1. 2017
  2. 2016
  3. 2018

Maybe need to open all three soon, the proof is in the pudding off course…

Agree based on recent tastings. In fact, bought more 16s and 17s after tasting the 18s!

Thanks. I thought I had some of the 2017, but I only have the 2015.

Which leads to another question: lots of talk here about 2016, 17, 18… but how does the 2015 vintage stack up? IIRC, on release people were raving about the 2015s.

2015 dry wine has gone on a weird arch. They shut down soon after arrival and yet have seemed to open up over the last 6 months or so. For what it is worth Egon Muller IV said 2015 reminded him of 90 and would need to be put away for at least 20 years. Of course he was not talking about dry wines.

I don’t have a tenth of the experience you guys have with Riesling, and I tend to prefer these young, but I’ve been opening some 2015 GGs lately and have found them to be in a nice spot. In particular, I’m enjoying the 15 Clemens Busch GGs.

For my palate 2015 GGs > 2016 GGs, mainly because I find more lift in the acidity of the 15s. Once I get below the GG range, and when I start moving up in RS, my preference isn’t as clear.

For example, I have multiple bottles of both the 2015 and 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs.

Given the vintages, which do you think will outshine the other, or are they generally considered equal in quality? And which will have the earlier drinking curve? I know, it’s probably hard to predict at this point, but if anyone has sampled both I’d be curious to hear their educated guess.

Is 2018 being ranked last cause it’s too young right now, or overall the vintage isn’t as strong as others?

The 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs is amazing, one of the best GG’s made in 2017 imo. So, I would place this above the 2015…Albeit slightly though, because the 2015 is no slouch either! As far as the drinking window, both should survive up to 2038 easily.

Best advise to give you: open both soon and taste side-by-side and keep repeating this in the future champagne.gif