2017 Pegau - Not a TN, a comment about pricing

For what it is worth, and while not the '17… Last Bottle has '15’s up for $58ea right now.

TW

I buy a shizt load of wines from B-21. They are solid as hell. I have a very high success rate on everything from them! Was in the shop in Tarpon Springs today.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if you were kidding or not. I hate this wine. I saw two pronunciations. I would like to add a third: Poop-Gau.

With that said, I haven’t tried for while. You’ll have to open one next time we hang out…

Allegedly, I am impervious to brett.

And when you and I get together, we drink much better than Pegau!!

Found Dan’s older posting describing the vintages: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2549189#p2549189

Alfert moving markets…sold out at wine library

The irony (or coincidence) of me moving anything, or anything moving on me, is something to ponder. Especially for a Southern Rhône, lol. I think b21 still has it.

For me, I would say that brett in Pegau is a feature until it becomes a bug. This is similar to oxidation, eucalyptus and likely others. This is the interesting creation of “complexity” in a wine, which may involve characteristics that will become flaws if they reach a critical mass. And frankly, it is relevant to me in that I discount Pegau slightly for this reason, because it can be amazing, but it has an additional risk that many other producers do not have, at least to the same extent. And from what I can see, the market bears this out - you see Pegau at lower prices than other blue chip CDP’s. For what reason? A great bottle of aged Pegau stands up to any producer.

Quite a few offers of the 15 for 55-60 lately.

Dan, thank you for all of the information on Pegau. I love the wines. Laurence is incredibly talented and very nice and gracious as well. I look forward to another visit at the Domaine in the future. Thank you for posting your ratings of 33 Pegau vintages awhile back. I think you are spot on with your assessments on rank. Cheers

Well, gone is gone. :frowning:

to Charlie Carnes,

As the importer, I don’t ever want to say anything bad about Pegau, but yes, there is brett. It ranges from completely imperceptible (at least to me, like the 2015) to overwhelming (2008). And of course, as always with brett, there is bottle-to-bottle variation. If you are hypersensitive to brett, please don’t ever let another drop of Pegau Chateauneuf touch your lips. If, like many, you want zero perceptible, or find a tiny amount can be an enhancement, please try the 2015 (which is very young), or earlier vintages that I find unaffected like 2012 (also young), 2011, 2010 (young), 2007 (young but singing), 2006 (glorious today) and 2004 (wonderful but still improving).

to Joe Galewski, thanks for the discerning post. I agree with everything you said.

to Michael Chang, I only see a few offers for 2015 below $60. On WineSearcher, there is literally only one store that offers it below $60 with the wine in stock. The others are “pre-arrival”. Not saying the pre-arrival offers are bogus, or won’t be delivered, or that they will notarrive in impeccable condition, just that you can’t pour it down your gullet under those circumstances.

I am working to assure that Pegau is available at fair prices in as many markets as possible. That’s my job.

Dan Kravitz

Last bottle had it for 56 or something a few weeks ago; that’s where I stocked up.

Good for you, and thank you for appreciating Pegau.

Right now, there is virtually no availability below $60 at retail, at least on Wine-Searcher.

Dan Kravitz

I just picked up the 2017 for $43 a bottle through JJB. Note that is “private client” pricing, but I’m sure many of you would qualify, if not already have this.

What makes it better is that Pegau often excels in “off vintages”. I had a fantastic 2008 a while ago, and that wine was getting blown out for like $30/bottle.

I recently spent some extra $ (at least relative to other vintages) to get some 2009 and 2010 Pegau because of the supposedly excellent vintages, and wonder if it is even worth it given how consistently good they tend to be!

Commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

Marcus,

We disagree on the 2008, my least favorite recent vintage. OTOH, 2011, 2006 and 2004 are wonderful now and if you can find them, they should be reasonably priced for wines with that bottle age. 2014 seems to be developing on the same curve.

However you will not regret buying 2009 and 2010, especially if you hold them to maturity. At 20 - 30 years, they will be revelations, great wines by any measurement.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks Dan. The 2008 I had featured an absolutely gorgeous nose and a rather thin body - that combo is fine with me as I sometimes find CNDP too overwhelming on the body

I have 2-3 bottles each of the 2004 and 2011, so glad to hear they are coming along well. A recent 2001 was a revelation to me as to how well Pegau can age and made me realize I had drunk most all my bottles of that vintage too young!

That ‘gorgeous nose’ on the 2008 was something that escaped my experiences when I, rather quickly, polished of the case I purchased back at release. In spite of that, I liked that Pegau vintage, too, especially at the high 20s that it went for then in my market.

Would love to see this but the link is down. Anyone know if it is still out there?