2017 myglands

Better than Clos de Menuts?

2 Likes

If you’re Clos de Menuts, you are, by anatomic definition, Clos des Myglands.

2 Likes

In this regard I often think of the Rue des Puits Merdreaux in Chassagne-Montrachet, sanitized only by a supplemental letter “a”…

That was the favorite wine of this celebrated author:

Faiveley CdMylands…that brings back memory.

Faiveley changed the wine-style from around vintage 2005 ( as the son took over ).

I bought cases and cases of both of them : Faiveley - Les Framboisieres 05 and also Faiveley - CdMyglands 05. Their price were priced closely despite the fact that CdMylands in a 1er cru. They are very popular wines in Quebec, Canada.

When I started drinking them, I am sure that Les Framboiseres 05 was craft in the old style whereas the CdMylands 05 was in the new style.

Why I am sure…because I also bought many and many bottles of the same wines from vintage 2006. I could open and enjoy the CdMyalnds 05 anytime I wish; but not the Les Framboiseres 05. Right now I still have 3 bottles of the Les Frammosiere 05 left. .

BTW -beside Clos du Roy, Faiveley has another Mercurey - which is also a good QPR to drink young while waiting for the CdMylands.

Faiveley – Mercurey–Les Mauvarennes 10 (864-629 $21.95)

Faiveley – CdMyglands 10 (147-959 $31.75)

There is another popular Mercury wine in Quebec, Canada. It is the : Château de Chamirey - Mercury 05 (962589 $ 30 ).

Nowadays…the same wine is still at the same price : Château de Chamirey - Mercury 2018 (962589 $ 30.35 ) whereas the Faiveley CdMylands 2018 ( 147-959) is at : $ 49.50.

I have found that the Clos du Roy can be the pick of their Mercureys.
The Myglands pre 2005 could be quite tough. i recall a bottle of 98 at a restaurant in Melbourne (possibly around 2003) that was particularly hard, but wierdly had some pretty red fruits underneath the wall of tannin.

Yes - the Clos du Roy…is… Faiveloy top Mercury and they priced it accordingly. I did not buy any to try it - which may be a mistaken. But I am a firm believer in the AOC. For my money if I want to buy the wines from Faiiveley… I would buy other Faiveley red from cdNuits.

Any Faiveley red before vintage 2005 was crafted under the direction of the father - who was famous for suing Parker. Faiveley was took-over by his 3rd son ( and the youngest son ) and the style changed drastically during vintage 2005 and around vintage 2006…

I thought 07 was when Erwan took over.

Not worse than Crap-i-lot… [snort.gif]

1 Like

Erwan took over in 2005. His Father and he hired Bernard Hervet, who touched the elevage of 2006 vintage with 2007 being Bernard Hervet’s first full vintage from vine to bottle. I believe Jerome Flous’ first full vintage from vine to bottle was also 2007. During Hervet’s tenure the largest acquisitions by hectare occurred with Dupont-Tisserandot(Gevrey) Billaud-Simon(Chablis), Domaine Monnot(Puligny), and Domaine Annick Parent(Pommard, Monthelie) being acquired. Bernard Hervet left after the acquisition of Billaud-Simon and the harvest of 2014. The Musigny parcel was acquired during 2015.

1 Like

Thanks …Emile - your details are exact to the all points.

Alan…Emile is right. I just checked Burghound Issue No. 25 ( CdNuit red ). Meadow reported that he meet Erwan during the visit and that Erwan was being groomed to take over the control.

My prefer wine from Faiveley is his 1997 CdCorton. It never close down…and it was not pricey then !!

It is interesting. Some of my earliest great Burgundies were from Faiveley (say early 70s or so). Then, some I had from the late 90s or early 2000s have not been as consistent, but in recent years I have been really impressed by what I have tasted.

Howard…thanks the message. I was not a fun for old Faiveley as it took years to turn around.

Faiveley importer in Quebec, Canada changed during perhaps vintage 2011 and the availability for the Mercureys are still there; but the mid-range and g-crus … became nearly non-existance.

So I witched to Des Croix as the price is more affordable. For example Des Croix beaune 1er is around Ca $ 70 to $ 90 ( for 2017 ) and the Corton is around $ 140 to $170 ( for 2017 ).

From my experience …the 2 styles are similar - easily approachable and enjoyable; and they seldom closed-down and/or became muted…some 30 minutes after pulling the cork.

The first change under Bernard Hervet and beginning with 2006 vintage was regarding cooperage. Some suggest poorly seasoned wood was part of reason wines had hard, seemingly green, or unripe, tannins during the era you reference. Francois Freres is the predominant copper employed now.

I always found it convenient that the coopers could be blamed for years of hard wines whilst young - rather than the people ordering the barrels and making the other choices - but the 1998s and 1999s are largely great now, so there’s no denying the quality of the material packed into those bottles. I think the style choices and changes were much more nuanced than simply changing coopers but whatever the truth, Faiveley make top wine also for younger appreciation now.

Their Mercureys in the most recent vintages have been some of the top values in Burgundy. FWIW the 2019 Myglands and Clos du Roy La Favourite were my favourite wines when I tasted at the domaine in mid-November - even more so the ‘Favourite.’ Unfortunately the ‘straight’ Clos du Roy was corked, and go figure - a replacement bottle of the 19 couldn’t be found in the domaine in Mercurey - just the 20s in their tanks!

I won’t drink mine for at least 5 years. Anyone disagree with that?

“Part of the reason” suggests other factors contributed to hard wines and not merely the cooperage. There were other “people”, or generations, selecting cooperage and ordering barrels prior to Erwan’s arrival and Hervet and Flous’ influence.

Obviously, Emile. I’m quite sure that’s what I suggested…

Me, too!