2017 Beta - Montecillo and Vare Release

I have no idea. I have been wondering the same thing. I will ask Ketan during my visit!

2 Likes

I believe Ketan said the 19’ will be magnums only but that is old info from last year’s trip up the mountain. No 20’ vintage for Jasud.

2 Likes

The '21 Jasud barrel sample was already excellent in November! I hope I’m able to get some of the '19s when they are released.

Ya really hoping I can get some 19 Jasud and taste 19 and 21 Jasud when I visit!

2 Likes

Man, if the allocation was 1 magnum I would feel lucky to be included, but that would definitely be one of those bottles that sat in the cellar waiting for the “right” time / putting off opening something you won’t be able to replace.

2 Likes

I 100% agree!

1 Like

Yea 19 is magnum only and not a lot to go around sadly

2 Likes

For anyone in the NYC area interested in joining:

1 Like

Any idea when the new release emailer comes out?

To quote Ketan:

We will be releasing the Jasud 2019 this spring, and I look forward to sharing with you what has been a long journey into making that wine, but more on that in March 2023.

3 Likes

Bueller?

1 Like

Funny timing, I pulled the 2018 out to pop this weekend to at least start trying these wines. Nice timing!

And again, when are these releases coming?

3 Likes

Patiently waiting for the 19 beta release. The wines are superb. Ill buy as many as I can.

1 Like

As we’re patiently awaiting the next release and I’ve yet to actually try the wines, I was thinking about opening a ‘17 Vare. Anyone have one recently and any suggestions on decant time, etc. thanks!

1 Like

I had one in the fall, noticeably more open day 2 so whatever you do would do a pretty long decant. Think I probably did 2 hours day 1. Might shoot for 5-6 if doable.

I opened a 2017 last year and gave it an extended decant. Opened around 8AM, poured into a decanter and then back into the bottle to slow-ox around 4PM before dinner at 6PM. It still improved over the 2 hours we ate/drank, so these are definitely built for the long haul.

I didn’t want to overdo the decant, so I cut things too short. I didn’t leave any for Day 2, unfortunately. If I were to do it again this early, I’d probably slow-ox overnight the day before and then let it decant openly for the 10 hours prior to dinner.

1 Like

I had a Montecillo vertical, with many vintages from 11 to 18, all of which were decanted beforehand and were still going very strong on day 3. I wouldnt worry about over decanting.

1 Like

Wines like these can be opened, recorked and drunk several days later and still be good.

1 Like

Finally got around to opening a Beta wine, a 17 Montecillo. Decanted it for two hours before returning to the bottle and bringing to my Friday group. Put it back in at the decanter for another hour before trying it.

It has that beautiful, bright, dark purple color we’re used to with current Napa cabs but flavor profile was much more subdued. I know I should hold onto these much longer, but I had to try one and it did not disappoint.

It doesn’t have a hint of heat or heavy new oak nor is it green or thin either. it drank beautifully like a classified growth Bordeaux, and you can taste the potential of what will come out someday. If I didn’t have a massive party tomorrow night, I would’ve taken what remained home to drink over the next couple of days but I knew I’d never get to it.

I’m looking forward to continuing the journey with Ketan on future releases

8 Likes

agree