2016 Pichon Comtesse - maybe the best since 1982

Last night, I was at a dinner organized by my friend Panos at the French Embassy of the wines of Chateau Léoville Poyferré where Sara Lecompte-Cuvelier of Château Léoville Poyferré that one reason people are uprooting Merlot is that with climate change Merlot is getting to too high sugar levels too early. She said that even a number of St. Emilion estates are uprooting some of their Merlot and planting Cabernet Franc instead. Anyone else familiar with this.

It makes sense. The glory of Bordeaux is that they are made with barely ripe grapes. With global warming, the Merlots especially will get alcoholic and pruney.

I am so going to resist saying what first came to mind with this post.

The general idea of swapping Cab Franc for Merlot as a supporting actor at a number of properties in the Northern Medoc and Margaux sounds like it has a lot of positive potential to me.

More specifically for Pichon Lalande, one of the things I’ve loved about it is that green streak that adds balance and complexity. What is that from? Is it still there in the recent vintages?

In the words of the immortal Lurch, “you raaaaang?”

Luv me sum Cab Franc in my Bordeaux.

Poor Alfert, but the trend in the Medoc is less Cab Franc in the Medoc and more Cab Sauvignon. More Franc is being planted in the Right Bank.

I love that “starting ine the late 20s” is a semi-recent phenomenon.
Too often these days it seems people think a mere ten years is long term.

Will the wines still be as distinctive?

IMO, the wines are better than ever on an extremely consistent basis.

If Bordeaux becomes formulaic, then they will have to hope future generations care about scores vs. authenticity.

I very much enjoy Pauillac and the differences between Pontet Canet, Pichon Baron, Pichon Lalande, Lynch Bages, etc…if much better wines per Jeff becomes the same cepage and Pauillac becomes a Merlot region, I am out regardless of the wines “tasting better” they will lose their character and distinction.

No, I don’t want under-ripe low alcohol BDX.

The fact that climate change has pushed merlot harvest up to the first week of September in some recent vintages is not great . I’m sure they feel they have to pick based on sugar and potential alcohol as opposed to flavor development. Unfortunate development for one of my fav BDX houses, but probably a good and forward thinking move.

Tasted this wine last week at Spec’s annual Bordeaux tasting. After reading all of these posts and press, it was the wine I was most excited to try so I tasted it first. Unfortunately it was extremely shut down. Very dark and concentrated but not expressive at all. The representative from the winery said this is typical of PLL beginning with year three. Even so, I can see the potential. Pichon Baron was more open and I thought it was also excellent FWIW.

Thanks for thatnote. A feiend of mine that went to Specs tasting said aboit the same, and added that the P. Baron was his favorite at the affair, withhonoable mention to Leoville Barton.

The Leoville Barton was fantastic. Definitely a buy for me.

My experience with Leoville Barton, going back at least to 1990, is that it shows really well really young, and then after that, closes down to whatever extent and sleeps for a very long time. Forget about drinking them in “adolescence”. Great house.

Good info. Thanks.

Generally speaking this has been my experience. Had the '09 last year and it was singing though.

I just had the '86 this weekend. The nose was spectacular and all about classic Bordeaux cedar, tobacco and herbaceous deliciousness. The tannin and body were out of this world. Very dark, very rich cassis, reminded me of a youngish high end Washington cab. Really great wine. I had the '82 last year, and this would be a close contender of overall enjoyment. I’ve tasted a lot of 70s through 2000. Nothing newer. No doubt the '16 will be great - probably will take 10 years for the green to start to show up - which is what I like most about Bordeaux.