2016 Northern Rhones - what are you drinking?

A 2016 “Pur Blanc” from Dom de Tunnel was wonderful last night. Intense but far less oily than i find with many 100% Marsanne cuvees to be

Had some 2016 Jamet CdR last night from a bottle that had been open for a day or two that was drinking quite nicely.

Tried the “regular” Faury St. Joseph over the weekend: nicely medium rich, medium full body, tasty deep black and boysenberry fruit with excellent mouthwatering acidity, fine softer tannins. Seemed a bit leaner and sinewy relative to the Faury style I’m used to. I liked it.

Alright, i’ve got one for you then…

• 2016 Domaine Gilles Barge St. Joseph Clos des Martinets - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (10/07/2018)
    What a good st Joseph: deep aromas of violets, dusty oak and a pure dark berry fruit, overlaying a touch of cured meat. Palate manages to be both concentrated and yet lithe and fresh, with subtle tannin and ripe fruit. Great stuff, so enjoyable (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

First full bottle of 2016 Northern Rhone i’ve had an absolute delight it was too, really drinkable and managing to find this great balance between richness, depth and lightness of touch. Really good…

Nice, I haven’t opened any of my 2016 Barge Saint-Joseph Clos des Martinets. The 2015 is a very large-scaled wine but beautiful, very deep and meaty with dark berries and baked earth notes. I love Barge wines all around.

Hey hey, JLL is calling us a bunch of Fashionistas!

CORNAS continues its dashing progress in 2016. It is just about the hottest appellation in the northern RHÔNE, if not the whole RHÔNE now, with prices escalating at a cosmic rate. Having previously held a hard core following, an underground movement conducted by whispers and nudges, it is now under the beaming gaze of the international fashionistas.

LOL.

No man that wears that might white can be considered a fashionista

Are you doing another 3-hour wine lunch today?

If you are referring to my skinny white jeans, those are indeed fashionista hawt.

Didn’t eat lunch until 2pm today =( was rough =(

Had the 16 faury st Joseph (non vv). Really good wine. Loads of fresh fruit with great lift.

Saw Kermit raised the wholesale on both wines this year.

That’s like saying the sun rises…

Thread drift, but I had the 15 Faury VV St Joe recently and it was really sensational. I think the big vintage went very well with the house style

1 Like

Not drinking anything, but this looks like a good deal and just went in for a few: https://downtoearthwines.net/product/2016-cedric-parpette-cote-rotie-le-plomb/

1 Like

I’ve tried 3 bottles so far and the 2016 Balthazar CdR hasn’t been as sharp as the 2015. I have no doubt the big brothers in his line up will be great, though.

1 Like

Haven’t had that one, but the 2016 Parpette Montmain was quite a nice little Cote Rotie. Not overdone, not super complex but tasted correct.

I’ve been enjoying the fresh and zippy 2016 Paul Jaboulet Aine ‘Domaine Thalabert’ [Crozes Hermitage] over the last couple of nights. It needs aeration to shed some matchstick funk upon opening; I poured it on the first night in a huge 700ml Riedel 001 glass which is like drinking out a widemouth decanter. Even though Caroline Frey promises fruit (blackberries) on the back label, I find it leans more toward savory black olives. The nose has white pepper, the palate has crushed berries, and there is juicy acidity on this medium bodied, purplish/black pure syrah. Tannin have softened up on this 13% abv red at age 8. It’s a very likable wine, tilted toward the bright side, and should have another decade of positive development. It’s vastly better than the 2016 PJA ‘Jalets’ dogs breakfast bottling that sometimes makes it to the US. I realize this old school negociant doesn’t have a WB fan club, but this feels like a wine with some upside, possibly meriting an A- grade in a few years. I have a few more so will have time to observe it.

My favorite PJA red Crozes remains the old Rourre vineyard.

Had a bottle the other night and really liked it. Jaboulet has been body-slammed here for quite some time. I bought a few at close-out pricing having tasted about an ounce in the store at the time of purchase. This is definitely a solid Crozes, and drinking well now. I got none of the sulfur notes you mentioned on opening. A liked the balance between the fruit and the savory, and appreciated the acidity as well. Paired really well with a pork roast with a garlic, rosemary and thyme rub.

1 Like

Glad the Thalabert is showing well these days. It’s not exactly a craft wine but I suppose it’s what’s in the glass that matters, right?

I looked up JLL’s entry for Jaboulet and refamiliarized myself with the history, the sale to Frey, the renewed efforts to care for the vineyards, the micro-oxygenization, etc. All interesting, but what really caught my eye was this:

“I am currently refused entry to taste chez Jaboulet since the father (whom I have never met) is displeased with me, but that situation may be easing [fat chance].”

Wonder what the story is here!

1 Like
2 Likes

That certainly could be the reason. Good piece though.