2016 CdP

I recently purchased a little bit of Beaucastel and Pegau. Pegau is a regular in my cellar but this is my first Beaucastel since 2001.

I’ve only tried a few 2016 (mainly in stores). The one that stood out was Domaine des 3 Cellier Alchemie, a new producer to me. Exquisite raspberry with lots of energy and lift. Not the last word in complexity, but the fruit quality and overall balance made for a pleasurable wine.

Either your Clos des Papes was very expensive or your Cuvee du Papet was very cheap. I paid a bit more for the Clos des Papes than the Cuvee du Papet, but the difference wouldn’t have made me pick one over the other at the low volumes I purchase.

For me, having tasted close to 250 different Chateauneuf from 2016, it is the best, most complete and consistent vintage I have ever tasted. This is from top to bottom. You can read my notes if you like - 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape The Top 200 Wines of the Vintage

I’d say that among solar years, both 01 and 10 vie with 16, but it will be a very good vintage. I have to say that I, more and more, find that years like 94, 99, 04 and 08 stand out as the most pleasurable to drink, certainly as compared to 98, 03 and 07. But I agree that 16, from the many fewer than 250 I have tasted, looks like a great year.

2004 has been my favorite CDP vintage for drinking over the last few years. I have almost zero experience with 2008. Would you say they are similar in style? I’m tempted to back fill here at lower prices before I pay up for 2016 and 2017
thanks

No 2 years are ever really alike. The 08s vary by producer more than the 04s. Producers who tried to treat that year as if it were 07 made wines not at all to my taste. But those who rolled with the vintage did nicely in a less ripe style. If less ripe and more minerally is what you like about the 04s, then I can tell you I have been enjoying Ferrand, Charvin and Pegau (though Pegau’s importer thinks this a particularly weak vintage of Pegau).

thanks for the input. I may seek out some Charvin

Sounds fantastic, this is what I needed to see after getting an emailer from my local retailer at $30 per. My recollection is that Cayron had remained quite traditional. Grabbed a sixer.

I picked up some of this based on John’s recommendation. Happy I did. Good to go now. A bit of sweet Grenache but the freshness is there and plenty of garrigue and bramble bush notes keep it in the yum zone.

I had gone sour on Cayron after the early aughts. It hadn’t gone all modern and gooey. It just seemed to me not as interesting a wine. As a result of someone telling me to try the 16, which I did, as well as the 17, when I was there in December. I really think it has come back to making wines like it did back in the 90s. I don’t know if these two vintages are just exceptions–the wine had become quite changeable–but let’s hope they are previews of a new and bright future.