2016 Barolo Riserva has started to be released

Fortunately, seems to be quite reasonably priced!

I paid 200$

Had it when I visited them in April. It was fantastic. Earthy and herbal, precise tannins.
Unfortunately they weren’t selling their ‘16 riservas when I was there…they didn’t have enough bottled yet.

1 Like

Not sure why but I’m just not that interested in Barolo Riservas. As a sub-category this is one that doesn’t seem that crucial or even necessarily better. Maybe it’s just because there are so many producers who don’t make these? Or perhaps I’m just ignorant. But I’m more enthusiastic about, e.g. Cappellano, B. Mascarello, G. Rinaldi, or G. Conterno, at these price points. Which are the Riservas that are really the ‘must haves’?

Some of the most iconic (and most brilliant) Baroli and Barbaresci are Riservas, so its hard to ignore them

Honestly I was also hyped a lot more for the 2016 regular crus than the reservas coming out now.

Yes me too, but many of the best Vineyard bottlings only appears as Riservas, so…

Which do you have in mind? I’ve bought a lot of Produttori Barbaresco Riservas happily.

I’m interested in the Sandri & Cogno’s Elena but otherwise I’m not sure if there’s many interesting Riservas coming out in '16. Massolino I’d be a buyer of if not for the huge price jump; I haven’t tasted the '16 Rionda, but based on past vintages, it’s not quite up to the level of G. Rinaldi, Conterno, Bartolo which can be found for around the price Massolino is now trying to fetch.

75 Euro in Germany

Well that is decent. Was expecting a larger price jump.

The problem is finding it, at least in my area. I asked for but didn’t receive any of the regular 2016 Perno, so not sure if I’ll be able to find the riserva.

It sure can be hard to track down. But I am based in Europe so it should be possible. Got 6x2016 Perno (non-riserva) at 49€ each at release :slightly_smiling_face:.

Bought 6 x 2016 Massolino Black Label VR for $300 each.

One of the best Barolo Riserva values out there is A+G Fantino Bussia “Cascina Dardi”. This usually has considerable age on it when released so I don’t expect to see the 2016 for a while.

1 Like