2015 Shafer HSS offer

Spottswoode does something similar

Speaking of Shafer, has anyone been listening to Doug’s podcasts? I’ve really enjoyed each one. Let me be the first to say “bravo” please keep them coming!

Doug, if you read this, special request interviews:
Bill Harlan
Mike Smith
Jayson Woodbridge

I have reduced my purchase to 1 bottle - that may go to 0 if there is another price increase ( even though I like to support these small wineries [snort.gif] )

This is one of my favorite podcasts. I’ve learned a lot about wine and Napa.

How many other Napa wines ‘at this caliber and price’ are as readily available in the retail market as HSS is - and at either close to release price? Just curious . . .

Larry…Names like Insignia, Monte Bello and Mondavi Reserve come to mind. Though at a lower price point, they are widely available at retail.

Very disappointed that Shafer has risen to this price point. Obviously they think the market can bear, though they make a ton of it!

It’s $1 shipping if you order a 6 pack. That’s the only break really.

I’m on the fence with this one. Love the wine and have bought off the list for some time. I spoke to a local retailer and I can get it for less than mailing list. The only thing they won’t get is Mags. So I will likely buy a mag and get the 750’s locally. The $300 mark was my threshold. Tough call.

these are great wines but as mentioned, you can find these all over at retail…I would rather buy Spottswoode than HSS at this point, thought not buying much Napa Cab these days…

I’ve been on the list since 1997, but I’m dropping this year. I may buy a couple bottles at retail, but there’s really no reason to buy direct, given the ready availability at retail. I actually think the comparison to Phelps Insignia is a good one. I love that wine, but have never been on the list because there’s no advantage to it. When a winery is producing 10,000+ cases, the mailing list option rarely makes sense.

A buddy forwarded his “allocation” to a couple of us. Considered for a minute, went online to KL to check retail pricing and got sucked into an expiring auction for HSS 2008…5 minutes later I’ve got two bottles reaching prime @$190 each.
Provenance seemed solid and as I get older I’m losing patience.

I may buy a mag. Went to several different stores around here and mag’s are still tough to get. 750’s can be had at or below mailing list price but apparently they are stingy with the bigger formats.

There’s a bottle of 1996 available for $249 right now at K&L.

I dropped off a couple vintages back. It’s a great wine. Consistently one of the best in Napa, so in the world. But, I can almost always find it at retail for the same price and usually less. Even the 100 pointers. Now, if you want the Mags, it might be a different story. Still, I don’t think there is any rarity factor.

I usually only buy one bottle a year at this point. There are not that many nights I want to open a $300 bottle of wine.

For what it’s worth I have enjoyed several vintages from the late '90s and '00s, but the last few vintages have been way too alcoholic for my tastes. I tasted the 2012, 2013, and 2014 at the winery and was not at all happy with the huge alcohol burn. Needless to say, I’ve stopped buying

It’s been selling for less at retail for over a decade

You can buy this wine directly at Shafer’s facility when they release it, until sold out, which I have to believe at $310 per is going to take them a while. I also stopped buying last year but still received the offer. I do like the wine but hard to justify at that price.

Recently bought 2 bottles of the 2004 through auction for $240/bottle. The 2003 (Parker 100) went out at around $200.

The Shafer is $310 while the Dunn HM is $130, and not too alcoholic.

Was on Shafer’s list but got tired of seeing Relentless and 1.5 at TW for $20 less per bottle.

We love Hillside Select but at this price it’s a one per vintage for us so can wait around to find a good deal. Only risk is if it winds up being a WA100 then it goes out of my price range. Picked up a single bottle of '14 with a wine.com $100 off so came in at $225.

Love the wine. Passed for the first rime this year. I have a lot of it and as said many times, its always at retail should I need some.