2015 Geyserville opinions?

My usual - 6 Geyservilles and 6 Lyttons

Oh Lytton too!

I also prefer the Geyserville to most of Ridge’s other Zins, probably because of it slower % of Zinfandel, it feels like it transcends my usual impression of zinfandel, though I guess Lytton falls in that category too. Tonight I opened up a 375 of the '15 Geyserville, big blackberry fruit, baking spice, oak, milk chocolate, and black licorice. Tannin was buried, but lots of acid to support the concentrated fruit on the palate, I can’t wait for it to shed some of the fat in a few years and if I can afford it, I will grab a half case.

Where did you get 375s?

I was at my LWS tonight and asked when they were getting it in. They said they didn’t know if they’d get it. According to them Ridge is trying to sell more wine to restaurants going forward. I know it’s still very available around here but thought it was odd that a fairly large Chicago area retailer might not get any.

LA Wine Company had them for 18-19$

I don’t think you are a contrarian at all. They are both very good (or better) wines year in and year out. I am always impressed by the Ridge’s consistency across the board. But I don’t think anyone is going to like everything they produce. I love Lytton Springs, too.

JD

Thanks to everyone for your considered opinions. I went in for six bottles. I’m sure it will be a worthwhile and enjoyable investment.

Thanks-

Claude is on the money with his notes. I go a couple of points lower, but damn is this tasty, and approachable. I prefer the 2014, seems like it has a bit higher acid, structure and more rich red. The 2013 is a beast, and perhaps in 10 years it eclipses both. The 2015 has the least oak signature or astringency from new oak than the prior two vintages, making it a bit more soft and plush. Three very distinct Ridges, all worth buying in 6+ bottle lots. Each will show differently and impress. Wow wines.

Notice Buster Photobombing this pic? He’s looking for a “treat”.

I was at Ridge at Lytton Springs a couple of weeks ago and had the 2015 Geyserville. I really liked it. More elegant and balanced than rich and powerful, it was just a beautiful wine.

But one question for the OP. You are a fan of Ridge, as am I. Has there ever been a vintage of Geyserville not worth purchasing if, as you said, you can get it at a good price? I cannot remember having a Geyserville I did not like.

Just back from the area and made my first pilgrimage to Ridge! I concur with others, the 2015 Geyserville is and will be fantastic wine. Like most Ridge offerings, best to lay this one down for at least a few years.

Outside of trying the 2014 MB (amazing), we had the pleasure of trying a 2004 Lytton Springs Syrah! What a fantastic, balanced wine at this age.

That’s right. The only risk in drinking Geyserville young is that you have one fewer to drink old. And you can cover that risk with another $30.

Bingo. I popped one last night for $hit$ and giggle$, my second of the week. A very approachable and enjoyable vintage. Killing the rest of the bottle right now.

I can’t stop drinking the 2014 Geezer…it’s just soooooo effing good!

It’s epic. I agree it’s hard to keep your hands off it, even knowing how well they age.

Totally agree fellas. Just silly good, and when you factor in the price, it makes it even harder to stop yourself from popping bottles.

Pumped to try the 15 when we finally get some here in AZ.

Just bought another bottle of 2014. Haven’t tried the 2015 yet.

You’ve fall hard haven’t you… [cheers.gif]