2015 Burgundy

So what are your all time and how were they when they like when they were young? Probably difficult to answer if you haven’t been buying and consuming Burgundy for decades!

99 La Tâche out of barrel at DRC was my life’s vinous highlight. Magic couple hours with B. Noblet. Still the best young red Burg I have tasted in 30 years.

To give another viewpoint to any fence sitters, Aubert de Villain described 2015 as a hypothetical blend of 2005 and 2003, and from what I’ve tasted so far I tend to agree.

If you like the idea of just a little fatter 2005, which many will, myself included, there is some of that out there and I’ve been trying to hunt some down. Had a gorgeous 2015 Nathalie Vigot Bourgogne the other night that was brilliant. But have also had a Leroy that tasted pruney and alcoholic, a pretty nice Hubert Lignier, and an overblown Morey Coffinet.

As a few of us pragmatists have pointed out, there are sure to be stellar wines this vintage, but if you like elevated acids along with concentrated fruit, a bit of dectective work should be amply rewarded, and is always fun.

How can you not see that this is all a matter of opinion? If you don’t want push back, couch what you say with “IMO” or the like. What is one person’s “perfectly ripe fruit” is another’s “too ripe.” I have tasted enough 2015s to know that they are ripe and they are dense. Many will love them and I expect that they will be particularly good after they have many years to stretch out and unfurl. However, better than 2011-2014? Depends what you like and for what. As for me, I am with Alan. And, that is a matter of my OPINION.

From the minute sampling I’ve had so far of 2015s, 2003x2005 is a pretty good description! At this point I’m liking 2010 more.

I meant best mature red Burgundy. Second part was how much fruit? How ripe? How much tannin? Acid?

I wanted to determine what was the starting point for your all time favourite mature RB. Sorry for not being clear.

Yes, IMHO 2015 is “better” than 2011-2014 …

How can you not see that this is all a matter of opinion?

Well, not everything in life is a matter of personal opinion …
Was Mozart a better composer than Salieri?
Beethoven better than Bob Dylan?
neener

(one may still prefer Dylan - and hate Beethoven … THAT´s personal preference)

Gerhart,

Dylan and Beethoven. Apples and oranges.

Dylan and Beethoven were both songwriters. Apples and oranges are both fruit.

I don’t think you need to couch opinions here. People know this is an internet board and know that people are speaking their own mind.

Gee, you’re one of the first people I’ve seen standing up for 2011. I’ve been reading nothing but knocks on that vintage here for years. Nice to see a voice of reason!

How did we switch from wine to furniture? [scratch.gif] Who cares about how anyone feels about a sofa?

Oranges are better than apples. If you don’t agree, we have nothing more to talk about.

Markus,
As you may recall, I got grilled for my take on the 11 vintage. I am not quite sure whether your statement is quite accurate. Do you still believe that the 11s have no issue?

You did and you continue to be. 2011 has less ripeness and low alcohol. 2015 has plenty of ripeness and high alcohol. Some will find some 2011s to be underripe with a green aspect. Some will find some 2015s to be overripe with a jammy or pruney character. Neither vintage is flawed or “tainted” as you like to say. You are unlikely to find support for your theory from Markus as I don’t believe that he is a run, don’t walk for the biggest and best sort of guy. I also get the impression that he generally enjoys a bottle at a time at the dinner table versus the big taste off events and write ups which is the sole focus of some here. Wines from “lesser” vintages do really well in the former context.

Martin,
I am not saying anything about the 15 vintage. My point is not about the ripeness as I love the 07s and 08s as well as the 14s. Can you just address two questions?

Have you found any of the 11s having the 04 like taint?

When the 11 was originally released, was there a good reason to buy them, in lieu of the high prices?

I recall something from Meadows on the 2005 vintager, extolling the quality of the regional and village bottlings. Whom have you favored with your purchases at these levels so far?

Did Beethoven write many songs?

Yes, he did Mr. Pedant - he composed (wrote) quite a few symphonies (songs).

Hudelot, Arnoux Lachaux,Labet, all of these for Borgogne and village
Benjamin Leroux, De Vogue, Roumier, and these for village only.
I opened a 2005 Borgogne from Dugat-py the other day, not quite ready but very very good for its level, but this producer has now priced me out of the market

You may have missed the opera, Fidelio. Plenty of songs.