2014 Wine letdowns?

That reminds me - a case of Vincent Arroyo that was a gift from my wife had two of three bottles opened tainted. These were all 2010s.

Ouch.

I don’t remember any wines I drank last year. By which I mean I can still recall the taste of phenomenal wines I had in 2013, 2012 etc but none last year. I had to look at CT to see that I did score exactly one wine 95 points in 2014, nothing higher. Overall my average bottle score has gone up every year and I do think it’s by drinking better wine not score inflation, 2014 no exception. But I definitely did not drink as many “wow” wines as the previous couple years.

Arcadian Winery - As a long time loyal mailing list customer, I have dealt with numerous frustrations over the years, but problems were eventually resolved, and others I let slide. This last experience has changed my opinion of them - their customer service is a disgrace, and I am done. Big letdown for me because I did like the wines.

2003 Beaucastel wasn’t flawed and far from memorable.

2012 caymus.

What a mess.

happy new years! I think ill make an effort this year to stop lurking…

Dissippointment - 2003 Beaucastel CdP Rouge - tasted and smelled of honey… was like drinking mead… weird… i dont have much experience with these types of wines (wines exceeding $70 or more) so was extemely let down to pop open dry ass flabby mead…

All of the few 07 CdPs I drank.

Good reminder. A 2007 Clos St. Jean CdP opened last week was a disappointment. Too much alcohol and sweetness…one could call it ‘porty’.

You must not have drunk them from magnum with a nice piece of white fish. That’s on you.

Along that same line, a 2004 Clos St Jean Deus Ex Machina was clumsy and wholly unenjoyable. I can’t imagine what happens to that wine in “good” vintages.

1996 Cos D’Estournel. Not nearly as good as other 1996’s that I have had in the last couple of years.

Thanks,
Ed

1997 Aldo Conterno Barolo Cicala
Thankfully the last of three bottles, at best muddied, at worst mushroom stew

all the premox on grand cru ramonet and 1er Lafons make me sad as shit.

2000 Bordeaux vintage.

Parker promised me this was the ‘vintage of the century’. After 14 years I’m still waiting to taste a 2000 that deserves this designation.

Ask her about outdoor swimming. [snort.gif]

Just a few days ago I opened a Sojourn 2007 Demuth Pinot Noir that was spoiled by brett. Most of my 2014 wine disappointments wer due to brett. Most of those were from southern France, which unfortunately remains a minefield.

There were a few premoxed white Burgundies, but I’ve long since discontinued buying any expensive ones.

P Hickner

Reynevaan
Epoch

Not that I have much expectation for $36 wines - the 07 Clos St Jean CDP is terrible! The 08 and 09 are just as bad.

For the money 96 Roumier Bonnes Mares has to be at the top of the list this year followed closely by 85 Clos Tart.

Biggest surprise 80 La Tache - stunning!

2002 Ruinart Champagne Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs - tasted like a $20 sparkler.