2014 Monte Bello Futures

Is this ‘moderate’ specific only to wine? And only to higher end wines? I don’t see price inflation on products across the board being 20% higher in 5 years as ‘moderate’

80 in 09

I am still a buyer at this price. At some point, they are going to price me out.

This, exactly. 2014 was a birth year for my second son, so I’m in for a couple magnums in addition to a couple 750s. After that…

Ridge always shows at Bassin’s Annual Barrel Tasting in D.C., and unlike the rest of us, shows their most recently harvested wine (most of us last year showed our 2012s - they showed 2013s). So I am assuming they will be showing their 2014 at April’s show, and I will make it a point to taste. But if this year is anything like the years previous, they will create a stir with their great history, consistency of their product, and value. $105 does not at all seem outrageous to me. So many wines are priced at that and much more.

As an aside, I absolutely loved their 2011, even when tasted alongside their 2012 and 2013. I actually preferred it, but would have been happy to have made any of those wines.

And as long as I am stepping out here, I have to say I am amused about pricing discussion on this Board and others. Some winery will announce a wine at $175, $250, $300 or more, and there will be a list of people chiming in “All in…well worth the price…took my full allocation.”

I couldn’t agree more with this. MB is one of the greatest and grandest CA wines, with a decades-long pedigree and some iconic wines in past vintages. And Ridge is still firing on all cylinders and making the wine in a classic, age-worthy style. In my view, relative to other CA wines (and other wines in general), MB is a bargain at $105. Whether $105 is a reasonable amount to spend on any wine is a question I find it hard to answer (yet I do it anyway).

Agreed on the above posts, as Ridge MB is without a DOUBT one of the most highly pedigreed high end Cabs from CA, so to argue that $105 is ‘too much’ makes almost NO sense when looking at a myriad of brand-new, never-before-seen cabs that pop up well in excess of that, often double or triple that price. Really odd.

For me, it’s more of a free cash flow sentiment. Past vintages have been available at 15 to 20% markup post release. No doubt it is one of the best and most consistent wines produced in California. I’m still a buyer this year, but if historical data continues down the same path, I will reconsider for 2015

Whether $105 is a reasonable amount to spend on any wine is a question I find it hard to answer (yet I do it anyway).”

Ryan, I wanted to address your statement here that I just quoted above. I think about this all the time. And people who have tasted or enjoyed a glass of wine with me will confirm that I express it, too, and frequently.

$100 is a lot of money to pour into a glass for immediate consumption. Gone - just like that! A complete luxury. But this is the passion we all share, and this is what many wines retail for (my Special Selection offers at $90). And alongside this, as a producer, I know both the cost-plus pricing side of things and the market-value side of things. So, I hear you and give it lots of consideration. And within this context, I still say the Monte Bello is a relative bargain.

It might be that the three figure threshold is a semi-rational/semi-emotional ceiling for some of us, but I’ve never considered buying a new wine, or really any wine save a couple one-offs, at those amounts.

At least this discussion is mostly “Is this still a good deal?” to which the answer is fairly clearly “Yes, but…,” vs. discussions that are essentially “Do we really think the new price is ‘right?’” or “What happened to loyalty to the customer?”

If I were ITB, the former would probably be uncomfortable at times, but the latter would drive me nuts.

IMO, Monte Bello at $105 or $125 or $160 is one of the world’s great fine wine bargains … Relative to Bordeux, relative to Napa, relative to anywhere. Looking forward to tasting an '02 tonight with family.

NoNo…not at all, Josh. And I’m sure that all the SCM wineries have to deal w/ no cheap labor pool being available.
It has always amazed me how well Ridge takes care of their employees. As I’ve followed PaulDraper & EricBauer around the MB wnry, I’ve always
been impressed by the respect to which they treat their cellar workers.
Tom

Ridge Monte Bello is the only mailing list I’m on, and unfortunately I only joined it last year (so as seems to be the theme, I missed out on things when they were cheap…). I’ve only had a handful with age, but they have been stellar, and I think it will be worth buying year in and year out. Take a look at the Colgin thread… wines are $400+. As much as I love the Colgin that I’ve tried from the 90s, I can’t justify that.

I agree it is getting up there but compared to its peer’s it is still a bargain. I don’t buy much wine in this range but I have been a member for over a decade now and usually just take a 1/2 case of 375’s.

If you are lucky enough to live in the area, the free tickets to the events, especially the assemblage events, make the cost of the bottles much easier to live with.

Last month I had an 01 Lytton Springs that was so delicious it really made me re-think my Ridge buying strategy.

I’m not on the list and I don’t own any MB, but I’m very grateful to some people who have been serving me nicely aged Monte Bello recently. More than any CA wine I know, it rewards aging with a result you can’t get in any young wine, so I recommend you all suck up the price increase and keep buying!

We do not buy a lot of wines that are north of $100 these days, but we do buy Ridge Monte Bello and will continue to do so. The first reason is simple – we love the wine.

With respect to the price, we started buying the Monte Bello on ‘futures’ with the 2001 vintage. It was $70 a bottle and $145 for a magnum, if I remember correctly. A $35, or 50% increase in 13 years. Probably in line or less than other California Cabs.

The other main reason is based on living in the Bay Area. Being a Monte Bello member allows us to attend assemblage tastings up at Monte Bello. It is usually twice a year, in March and May, and is comped for Monte Bello members. There usually is a nice assortment of new releases to taste along with the Monte Bello components. I understand this is not important for those out of the area who cannot attend, but it is a nice perk that we factor into the total price. Sometimes we get a chance to talk to Mr. Draper, who is as nice and as humble as he is talented.

Thanks,
Ed

I started buying MB futures a few years later than the 2001 vintage, and I think it was (and had been for several years) $60 for 750s at the futures price. I considered it a ridiculously good value at that price. I still think it is quite a good value. I can’t quibble with the price increases.

I live in the Bay Area, but I haven’t made it to any of the assemblage tasting events, so that hasn’t been a factor for me.

-Al

Would any of the experienced MB buyers care to weigh in on the aging curve? I tasted the 2011 at the MB winery last year and it showed very well. But I would love to know what some of you folks with a long history with the wine use to guide your consumption.

Vintages are each unique Joe, there isn’t really any set approach. I find the vintages with substantial PV age very nicely.

Recently the 09 and 11 showed very nicely as young wines. The 07 in half bottles is in kind of a strange place now.

Joe:

Regarding the aging curve, the back label of the wine bottle has the winemaker comments about the growing season and drinking window of each vintage and it is a good guide for me. And it is probably on the conservative side.

Thanks,
Ed

I think $105 is a very fair price, but IIRC they hold your $ for 2 years before shipment.

Data point: The 05 was $65 on futures.