2014 Bordeaux Vintage

I haven’t had much but I had a bottle of Pavie Macquin last year that really delighted me. Definitely a modern style though. On the more traditional side, I enjoyed Branaire Ducru recently. Really strong Cabernet character, approachable now, but a lot of upside.

Daughter’s birth year. Bought a lot. Have had zero desire to taste anything.

Should have gotten more VCC! Prices are far higher now.
Bought mostly VCC, Figeac. La Miss, LB, Langoa, Poyferre, Montrose, Rauzan Segla, PLL. A few Firsts but should have bought more

3 Likes

Most of my favs have been mentioned, but I’d add the 14 Leoville Barton to the list. Terrific wine.

It’s a sub thread, but the only Cos that’s ever really wowed me was the 90, but even that one is variable. I have/had high hopes for the 95 Cos but either it’s taking ages to come along or maybe it never will.

Like others in this thread, I’m looking forward to thoughts and opinions coming out of this tasting. I adore the 2014 Bordeaux vintage — as far as my CT TNs go, it’s the Bdx. vintage for which I’ve written the most notes. My top 3 up to this point have been Domaine de Chevalier, La Conseillante, and Haut Bailly, with the DdC at the top by a click or two. Some others have seemed impressive-but-tight, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see any of those move up the ranks with the passage of time.

Can you expand on this a bit? What do you have in mind when you make the quoted comments? What is it about their terroir?

p.s.: Cos is a producer that I’ve barely ever tasted, and – as such – have barely bought. I have a lone bottle of the '04, and bought 3 bottles of the '19 during the Costco 2019 Bdx extravaganza ---- that’s the entirety of my Cos holdings.

Has anyone tried the 2014 La Mish recently? It can still be found for $200, was considering a backfill.

1 Like

Keen to hear any feedback as it is on my list as well. So is Haut Brion, which is available for $380.

I had it a couple years ago (January '22 I wanna say) and it was great. Very restrained but obviously pure class, if that makes sense. I thought it was fabulous.

1 Like

'14 Haut Bailly might be my favorite of this vintage that I’ve tried so far. Would love to get more. I also opened a '14 Leoville Barton a few months ago that was closed as can be even with a ton of air. I have a few of that one and won’t be touching for at least another 5 years.

2 Likes

Waiting for Southwold notes but as of right now have a few wines on my list to backfill

1. LMHB
  2. Haut Brion
  3. Calon Segur
  4. Ducru
  5. Pichon Lalande

While I salute Mark’s curmudgeonliness, I have to disagree about Cos. Its failures have been on account of deliberate style decisions, not subpar terroir. The terroir proves itself with its longevity and refined structure, along with that characteristic exotic scent of incense that I used to think was just bullshit power-of-suggestion from the chateau architecture, but dammit if it doesn’t jump out at you in a vertical setting as the vintages get more mature. It is true that they have had more periods in recent history in which the wines were disappointing than successful, but considering what they have achieved when they’ve gotten it right, their placement in the 1855 classifications, and where they are on the map, it’s hard to argue the potential isn’t there. In addition to the 2014, I think the 2016 and 1996 are must-own wines. Along with Montrose.

4 Likes

It’s not being “curmudgeonly” if we disagree. I have attended a couple of Cos verticals, and although the organizers (one chateau one private) talked of perfume and incense, I could not detect it.

The finest Cos I have tasted was the 1996 but it still trailed both Calon and Montrose from the same year, and the 1959 was an elegant survivor, otherwise nothing special. I still go with bland and insipid, except for those extracted horrors mentioned earlier in the thread.

1 Like

I have some steaks lined-up for dinner tomorrow so I will pull something from '14 to pair.

To Mark’s point, Cos often leaves me scratching my head, but I agree with Keith that the '16 is a must-own, a great wine from a great vintage.

This is a thread digression - on Cos, when we did a mini 2019 horizontal (LLC, Montrose, VCC, La Conseillante, Pichon Lalande, Cos, Lynch etc), Cos was 2nd from bottom for me - just above Lynch. I have a case of 2010 Cos and almost afraid to try it out.

'ppreciate the Leoville Barton info — I have a few, but have not yet tasted; sounds like I shouldn’t even try, at the moment.

Curmudgeonliness is a compliment!

To be fair, there is nothing shameful about being 2nd to last in a lineup like that

2 Likes

The 2001 is also excellent and in no way overdone.

2 Likes

This thread triggered the opening of a 2014 Lillian Ladouys [St Estephe] to wash down a steak & ale pie made this drizzly afternoon. I’ve had this - both the estate and vintage - before, and this is a property I prefer in big solar years rather than traditional Atlantic vintages like 2014. The last one I had was some seven years ago, and I noted the wan fruit then, which has still not blossomed, while the stubborn tannin holds fast. For those who like a grippy mid week St Estephe, this would fit the bill, but it’s not my style. I’d give it a B.

3 Likes

I feel like this photo is the “before” in a story in @Robert.A.Jr 's breakage thread.