2013 vs 2016 Barolo

2010 was a more difficult and uneven vintage in Barbaresco than in Barolo:

Indeed, that’s sort of what I meant by “lesser vintage”.

Unfortunately the link you posted only leads me to a subscription page, so not much help there. However, I’m well familiar with the unevenness of 2010 Barbaresco and generally avoided them, unless I’ve tasted the wines first and know they’re good. For example Produttori 2010 was a lovely wine - I guess not in small part thanks to all the Crus that were blended into the wine in that vintage.

Weird. The link worked for me without a subscription.

1 Like

Early on when I was trying to get “the best” of a bunch of regions. I think that’s a pretty common place to start. In comparison of the 2010, 2013, & 2016 vintages, I think they’re all of a very high quality, with less consistency in Barbaresco in 2010. While 2013 & 2016 had more consistency between Barbaresco & Barolo than 2013, but there were some riper wines in the 15% range in 2016 (Elio Grasso Casa MatĂ© & Fratelli Alessandria Monvigliero) interestingly enough, the 2008 Elio Grasso Casa MatĂ© is also 15%. If you’re buying these wines to store 20+ years and enjoy later in life, I think you’ll be happy to have both vintages in your cellar.

From my somewhat limited experience, 2013 was a bit less consistent. The 2016s were so much more fruit forward that at times I think it made it harder for me to assess the tannic structure. Because of that I am a little less confident on the longevity of the 16s than the critics were.