2013 Dominus @259...

To be honest, I was very surprised to see these at that price at bevmo, as well as the 300 score. It’s no question that Dominus makes world class wines built for age. That 91 was an amazing wine when I had it years ago. I have a cellar, as you guys know, and I “cellar” wines that I believe will be worthy in 10-20-30 years. I know most of you hate points, but when a wine comes around that’s highly acclaimed by the so called experts, it seems to me as a collector, that it should be in my cellar? 2001 Yquem comes to mind here. But of course it has to be a wine I drink, and one I can afford. And for me, I don’t chase points like I use to back in the day, and I don’t buy every new wine that comes right out in cult status…I focus now more on the classics with history. $250 is a lot for wine, but not even close to what some people shell out for the wines that they think are the must haves, i.e. Burgundy, Bords, Champ etc. Yea I could go out and find that 91 again for probably just a little more than that 13…but you risk the provenance, and it’s not going to be exactly what the 13 will be when it’s 25yrs old? The 13 is the 13, it will age into it’s own, hopefully, legend. Plus…I like that 30th anniv. label! [wink.gif] So I bought a couple for the cellar.

Buzz, I think this wine is a must buy for you, pop that dang cork, kick on some Two Live Crew, and let your inner-P.I.M.P. roll! Will make you #meursohappy. A video clip, rather than a pic, would be cool.

Brian,

Your thought process was pretty much identical to mine, including the 2001 Yquem comparison. I went deep on 2001 Yquem and have never regretted it. I bought a couple cases of 2013 Dominus and doubt I will regret it either.

Garrett

Garrett, great to see you posting. I hope all is well with you, it’s been a long time.

I completely agree with the spirit of your post, and there is little chance you or Brian will regret having these in your cellar. I would say, though, that the thread was started by Brian asking what people thought of buying at that price, so I can understand people weighing in with their opinions too.

One thing that strikes me is how much harder people take it when new world wines go up sharply in price. Or maybe new world wines and Bordeaux.

You rarely see people upset that Mascarello, Jamet, Giacosa, Dujac, PYCM and producers like that have raised their prices so sharply. Not sure why - maybe it’s just that those types of producers are more beloved on the board these days so opinion is less critical.

I’m not sure that is correct across the board. Some of geeky wines that get a lot of play here, think Allemand, Rougeard, etc., have spiked quite a bit, and many have dropped them. Wines like Juge are now $200+ in the after-market. I am no longer buying Allemand, I cut my purchases of Jamet down dramatically (including none in 2014). The only wine I continue to buy despite price spikes well above historical pricing, and some above $200, is Rougeard. And that one hurts, but it does have that rarity factor going on, if that is relevant to the buyer.

More aligned with Dominus, I no longer buy Conseillante, and in 2015 it’s only half the price of Dominus (the 2010 is priced about the same as the 2013 Dominus). I’d take the Conseillante all day long over the Dominus.

I think if someone were following critic points, Napanook is the deal in 2013. I had it at a dinner party back in November and it was quite the smash.

FWIW, I am not a buyer at $259 right now. However, for wine enthusiasts like Brian and Garrett and others who have the means, the willingness and the desire to buy these right now, then more power to them. What is interesting to me is that currently the 2002 Krug can be found for the exact same price right now. champagne.gif

Thanks,
Ed

Every time a Rougeard or Jamet is priced out of the market, a new young Turk emerges or an old guard is resurrected to replace it. For white Burg buyers priced out of the grand crus, there has been a resurgence of both Chablis and outer areas like St. Aubin where great bargains can be had. Napa is no different.

I wonder why no one mentions Insignia or Opus One on this board, other highly rated and consistent Blue chip wines (in that they are often bought and traded and are hardly scarce)…

FWIW, I paid $230 and $250 for the 2013 Dominus. The 2002 Krug set me back $260. I tried the Krug and, while it has a lot of potential, I thought it was too tight right now. Mine are going to sleep for a number of years. I have not tried the 2013 Dominus, but a friend gave me a bottle for Christmas, so I will likely try it soon.

Garrett

True, K&L has the 2012 Shafer Hillside Select going for $300.

And if we throw the cults into the mix, Dominus starts to look like a real QPR! Or should i say SPR (Score-to-Price Ratio) :stuck_out_tongue:

don’t listen to the naysayers buzz, that’s a great buy :wink: back up the escalade.

btw - screagle came out today. :slight_smile:

Yea…makes buying the Dominus like putting four quarters in a coke machine! :astonished:

I used to buy a fair amount. I dropped them when I heard they would not take a corked bottle back. Corked wines happen and if a bottle is corked, the winery should stand behind their product. Especially at the prices they charge now. It bothers me that they pass this along to the distributor, retailer or consumer to bear.

Good post. To address one thing earlier, I am 33, so not just a naysayer over 50 longing for the days elite Napa cabs were sub-60 (although I do miss those days and was buying them for that 12 years ago). I do think that having three critics all score the wine 100 points is indicative that the wine is probably something special, or at least a very excellent wine. Perhaps it is something that should be viewed in a vacuum. If I came to you and said I have a wine that was tasted by three critics. All three, including a couple blind, determined that this was the best wine in what is heralded as one of the greatest vintages. All three agreed that it is both balanced and has great aging potential. It is a bordeaux blend from a very, very reputable producer known for consistent, very high quality wines respected by both fans of somewhat rich reds and also by fans of a more traditional style. Not only did all three critics say the wine was the best of the vintage in a brilliant vintage, they all agreed–without any discussion between them–that the wine is a “perfect” example of what it aims to be.

It’s $259 a bottle.

Now if I just told you I’d sell you Margaux from 2010 for $259 a bottle you’d do it. So why not Dominus? How about I’ll sell you Harlan Estate 2013 for $259. You’d do it. So if this is superior, and for a more “affordable” price, why not do it? I understand why you bought some bottles and I understand why you might have bought a fair number. Not a no brainer for me, but as Mark pointed out with his 4 questions, we might answer those differently and it’s your money and your cellar.

I’d certainly not turn down a pour.

You were buying $60 Napa cab at 21 years old?

Got an offer for 2010 LLC today and it’s $30/btl cheaper. Now there’s a cage-match taste off.

Go big, Doc: 2010 Vieux Chateau Certan.

[cheers.gif]

On rare occasions, yes. Pride, Plumpjack, and a few others. Mostly 2002 vintage. And with my hard-saved money earned working as a paid analyst and constituent rep for a Texas House member. I was broke, but drank well. Helped offset the massive amounts of Keystone Light I drank.

+1 Well said.

I’m with you somewhat on that. I worked at a liquor store in college so that and my GF at the time started getting me into wine a little bit. Scooped up my first bottles to Cellar when I was around 21, with 1999 Cinq Cepages being my first one. Think it was around $60, which was a BIG alcohol purchase at the time.

Side note, I went to ASU, so you have to give me some credit for stepping away from the typical Jager shots and Natti-ice to drink any wine at all!

So…besides for pricing. Has anyone even tried the 2013 Dominus yet?