2012 Thierry Germain Domaine de Roches Neuves, Saumur-Champigny, Franc de Pied. [2014 popped 1.22.17

Yea, I’m definitely pulling one from storage! Thanks, Roman.

I had his L’insolite las week and was well impressed, it stood up really well alongside some other interesting Chenin bottles.

think this are all(reds)?

Saumur-Champigny
Saumur Champigny Terres Chaudes
Saumur Champigny Les Memoires
Saumur Champigny Clos de l’Echelier
Saumur Champigny Franc de Pied
Saumur Champigny La Marginale

Not sure what is going on with the 2014, perhaps shut-down, but it was the exact opposite of the 2012, really unexpressive. Fairly bland palate with acid prevailing over fruit. Not very appealing at this stage. Funny that I found the 2014 Baudry Les Grezeaux quite similar. Perhaps the acids in this vintage need time to settle. I always think Grezeaux needs time, but have generally found Franc de Pieds pretty open from the get-go. Overall dissapointing, would not be a buyer.

You’d have to assume that the '14 is just closed, being a much superior vintage to '12.

The best Loire CF I’ve had lately is a 2008 Guion Prestige. Probably the cheapest by a lot too, but in an almost perfect place right now.

Damn those notes sound tastey and right up my alley. I don’t like seeing the cough syrup note but it sounds like not so noticeable. Thanks.

Picked up a 2015 Thierry Germain Saumur Champigny from the corner Nicolas tonight. Nobody is going to confuse this for a Clos Rougeard, but at 10.75 euro, it’s a great value bottle of wine.
IMG_0651.JPG

So, when are you going to come to DC and see Weygandt Wines personally. Our favorite offline hangout, Ripple, is just a block away.

I know, I know, soon.

It’s just that my work travel schedule is so taxing lately. I was forced by work to be on Naples beach for two days this week, and now Fort Lauderdale beach for two days. Oh the humanity . . . .

Has anyone tried the 2014 lately? Curious how it shows given that I have enjoyed other '14s from Loire so far.

RIP Ripple… I come here for Cab Franc tasting notes only to have a still open wound sprinkled with salt… it’s only been 2 years (3.5 if you count 2020). It was a really great place to eat and drink cool wine.

1 Like

That block used to have Lavandou, Ripple and Dinos. All gone. [swearing.gif]

Wasn’t there an Italian place next door?

Dino’s was Italian.

I know I ate there, but wasn’t that on the next block? I meant literally next door, the short leg of the building’s L (probably was Lavandou).

You lost me at the building’s L

The shopping center Weygandt leases space in Sam’s Park & Shop.

The restaurant to the left of Weygandt if facing the entrance.

Palena, vacated six years ago to be replaced by
https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2020/02/11/the-palena-space-in-cleveland-park-finally-has-a.html

Palena was a couple blocks from Ripple. It was next to Weygandt.