2011 Maison Ilan

maybe a bill klapp [cheers.gif]

I don’t mind the judging. What else is the internet for?

[winner.gif] Thanks, Hal! Now, can you please open the pod bay doors, I need to move a foudre.

The incentive should be to bottle when ready. If I recall correctly, Galloni ripped the 2009 Lignier wines for being kept in barrel too long. I have no clue about Ray’s wines. I am just saying that longer barrel aging is not always a good thing.

But Kellen also told me that she felt pressured to show them, and much sooner after bottling than she wished - based on the results, she clearly should have just said no. As Ray does :wink: I never did get my mixed case of 09s, so can’t make up my own mind on that…

I’ve drunk Ray’s 2010 Corbeaux and I’m 100% sure it would have been better if he’d forced the malo a little and bottled (at least!) 6 months earlier. But it’s still a good wine, and those 10s were far from bad value…

I can’t allow you to jeopardize this mission, Mark. I’ll take care of the foudre myself.

I received a refund for the 2010 corbeaux and my case of 2011’s purchased and not delivered. It took Ray Walker 3 weeks to make the wire transfer of my money plus 20%. However he did short me $30.00 on the 20%.

Good luck to everyone that is still wanting those wines. I called it.

Just a guess, he didn’t factor in the cost of the wire.

I don’t get the angst here folks. I have a case or two of 2011 burgundy on pre-order, none of which has been delivered.

Hopefully he delivers the Barolo, Champagne and Sauternes I ordered from him newhere

Paul, of course you are correct. When to bottle is one of hundreds of judgments a winemaker makes that makes a wine good or bad. Ray could be making a good decision or a poor one in this or any other of a number of instances. I was not suggesting it is necessarily a good decision, just that I cannot find anything shady in a decision to bottle later, as the OP suggested.

Cary, why didn’t you bring this up at dinner? :wink: I could have assured you your wine is safe (and tastes very good), and saved a lot of silliness on this thread :slight_smile:

Cary, or anyone else, has every right to question where the wines are, especially when bottling and or shipping was previously promised. I mean, after all, it IS 2014. Having lived through the Hospice debacle and a few empty promises by Premier Cru I completely empathize with him. I once purchased some wine as a gift and was promised delivery in November, then early December, then January… whoops!

In business, communication is important, especially in todays electronic society.

Well-considered and well-said, Merrill…

I am here for you, lad. I am Burgess Meredith to your Sly Stallone in these matters. I am just spread a little thin on beating dead horses at the moment, and I have no dog is this hunt and no Maison Ilan wines on order. And let’s face it, Cary, as dead horses go, Ray Walker is no Bob Parker. Parker keeps sticking his hoof into his mouth. He is the Mr. Ed of talking dead horses!

Bill, spit out that hoof. I would much rather read your posts on life in Italy.

Parker’s hoof, Anthony, Parker’s hoof, and his mouth. Zampa di maiale is the only hoof allowed in my mouth, unless, of course, one counts osso buco. I cannot write only on Italy, because then I would be banishing myself to Epicurean Exploits!

<yawwwwn…>

FWIW, I’m still awaiting 2011 allocations from several producers (and I went very short on the vintage), none of whom are Maison Ilan. Just today, I received a notice from my favorite retailer that the Lignier-Michelot was finally in. It was “due” late October/early November 2013, but as frequently happens (I think) that date slipped away and now it’s February 2014.

I never received any updates - from Virgile or anyone in the distribution chain - until notice of arrival came today. Should I be ripping Virgile or his distribution chain new assholes right about now? I mean, after all, there was an expectation of an Oct/Nov arrival. Which hitherto I considered little more than an estimate. Until now, of course. Now that I know differently. Gyah, what a mark I am!

Should I be starting a thread regarding every pending delivery I have that’s beyond the arrival date? Is that the way we do it now? I can start with something like "Finally the '11 Lignier-Michelots - wtf Virgile, been sittin on yer ass all winter?" 'cause of course I now know one must assume treachery in situations like this.

And just wait 'til I get to those jerks at Valdespino, also a supposed November delivery. I had every intention of drinking some 1842 20 Year Old Oloroso VOS back in December. I’ll never get that night back. It was perfect for oloroso. And now I sit here looking stupid, just another putz with no fookin sherry.

So your tolerance is different than others. You are neither hero nor villain, you’re just another guy with an opinion.