2010 Produtorri del Barbaresco Decanting Help

I will be serving a 2010 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco for dinner tomorrow evening. Main course will probably be served around 8:30. I am largely unfamiliar with Italian wines, but do know enough to know that a Barbaresco this young probably needs a fair amount of air. I also understand from reading the board that no riservas were made in 2010, which leads me to believe that this bottle may be a little more structured due to the inclusion of riserva juice.

As I am working tomorrow, the options as I see them are:

1. Pop cork first thing in the morning, slow-o all day, and decant about 2 hours before serving.

2. Decant all day (about 12 hours)

3. Decant only about 2 hours before serving

Thoughts? Thanks in adavance!

(I am not looking for advice saying that it is too early to open this bottle and pick something else. For certain reasons, I have to open this bottle)

I liked the 2010 a lot and just did a pop and pour. I saved a little bit for the next day (re-corked) but didn’t notice much difference.

My recommend would be open in the morning and just slow ox.

Oh and it’s too early :wink:

Jason

When very young, such wines can actually be somewhat approachable with the fruit still very vibrant. The tannins will be there in abundance, but the fruit may appear to stand up to the tannins. Thus an hour or two might be alright.

Oh and it’s too early :wink:

Regards
Ian

I agree with what Jason said - I would go pop n’ pour, to be honest. A “new release” Nebbiolo can be delicious right out of the bottle, and decanting it for an extended period of time may actually be counter productive, as the wine might “close up” on you while sitting in the decanter (I realize this sounds counter-intuitive, but I have seen this occur from time to time).

Interesting, I would not have guessed pop and pour. But hey, thats why I asked!

Looks like we have some smart asses on the board [wink.gif]

Thanks for the help guys

Guess I will have to try one of these tonight for science :slight_smile:

If you were just exploring the bottle over an evening, I’d say start with pop and pour and see how it evolves.

However, since you’re serving it at a dinner party, it probably means everyone gets one glass and then it’s done, so you do hope to get it to a good place as of that short window of time. (In addition to noting that this is too young, I’d say that non-mature Barolo/Barbaresco isn’t a good wine to serve as one flight to a larger group, since you probably won’t get it at a good time. Plus, most of your average dinner guests won’t get that kind of wine anyway. Sorry. Back to helpful comments.)

If you care to make the effort, I’d open it earlier in the day, see if it’s drinkable, and if so, immediately recork then reopen when it’s time to pour. If it’s super harsh and drying at first, then leave it open all day, and maybe decant closer to dinner time, see if you can coax it to a better place.

If you don’t care to make the effort, then I’d probably just open it near the time you’re serving it and hope for the best.

Please report back!

Chris, your points are all very well taken. You are correct, if it was just me and another person exploring the bottle, I am always a fan of letting the wine develop in the glass over the course of an evening.

Like I said before, Italian wine, like Barolo/Barbaresco, are very foreign to me as the vast majority of my wine experience revolves around France. I will keep your comments in mind for next time.

As for my dinner tomorrow, I plan to follow your suggestion and taste and make decisions on decanting or not accordingly. I will be sure to post my results!

Thanks again for the comments

I drink Produttori wines regularly. I’ve already drank through cases of 2007-2008 despite the bottles being young. I’ve also opened them for parties with good success. For these bottles my rule of thumb is to open them in the morning and then do a full decant for at least three hours before serving. (The 2008 has shut down recently, so when I brave it I decant overnight to soften it a bit extra.) You won’t oxidize the wine by opening it too early, so err on the side of extra time open. This is not a wine that will markedly evolve in your glass after popping the bottle, nor is it a wine that will gain much from an hour in a decanter. It needs air.

I suggest slo-mo as well; definitely in a cool place.

pop and pour. no need to decant or slow ox. the 2010 Barbaresco is not sleeping.

I opened a bottle a few weeks ago, Sean, and drank it over three days. I felt it smoothed and refined somewhat with added exposure to air, though not dramatically. IMO, if you like a nervy, slightly aggressive wine, go with the pop ‘n’ pour recommendations; if you want something a little bit mellower going in, showing a bit more nuance, go with the decant or slo-O crowd.

Hope you’ll come back after drinking it to record your own impressions, in any event.

Sleeping isn’t the issue. Decanting/slow ox doesn’t help the wines once they shut down. These bottles always need air to smooth out.

Had this wine on Friday night with dinner, pop and pour. I thought it performed very well, lush fruit, sweet not drying tannins. If I had another to open, I would do the same.

And the results are in!

I served two of these bottles for a small dinner at my place. Based on board comments, I anticipated a simple p’n’p. So I opened one of the bottles about 2 and a half hours before the main course (bolognese) was to be served. Now maybe I am just not used to drinking highly tannic wine, but I am suprised anyone would serve this fresh out of the bottle. I was met with very formidable tannins. In addition, there was a certain hotness or alcohol aspect that was not particularly enjoyable. Based on this, I decided to throw both of the bottles in decanters immediatly.

After about 2 hours in the decanter I retasted. Now we are getting somewhere! The tannins were still present, but far more integrated. It went from harsh and tannic, to pleasant sweet tannins. In addition, the nose, which was very hot before, had really developed into something quite nice. Sounds cliche, but this wine really is all about violets and tar. Black cherry also played a dominate role.

Moral of the story: for my guests and I, these bottles performed at their peak after about 3 hours of decanting. This is a lot of wine for the money and a screaming deal at around $30. I will definitly be buying more.

As expected. Per my previous comments above, you’ll get even better results if you open in the morning and slow ox before the three hours of decanting. I drink these wines more than any other–they are 10% of my overall collection–and I feel pretty confident in this view. Enjoy.

I agree with all of this. I’ve seen young Nebbiolo close up with aeration, which surprised the heck out of me the first couple of times.

edit: oops, too late! I will say that a couple of hours worth of aeration doesn’t do anything to tannins. I would suggest that you probably just got used to the tannins.

Sean, thanks for reporting back (most times people put the board through this kind of process and never bother to loop back with the outcome). I hope we’ll see you posting more in the future.

Agreed + I think I paid $25.00 a bottle

These are just a crazy value. Just got them locally in Tampa for $27. The 08 with some decanting is a killer wine. I’m hoping the 10 will develop and show as well. This wine continues to be my all time QPR.

I also picked up their 11 Langhe Nebb for $17. CT notes look promising for another great QPR find.