2010 Bordeaux the 4th "Vintage of the Decade"

From a hypothetical standpoint, though, wouldn’t lower pH and higher phenolic content be better for long-term aging? Certainly that portends greater microbial stability and better buffer against oxidation.

It seems immediate lushness is important for investors because it means higher critical marks. But if the intent is to drink the wine when it has undergone a full metamorphosis, immediately melted tannins and Napa-like texture maybe are less important. The tannins will evolve and soften. Is the concern that the fruit will not be sufficient to withstand the acidity and tannin?

I am looking forward to see you both in Washington DC next month!

Interesting. I heard a slightly different story. Not all properties had lower pHs. Léoville Barton, for example, registered higher pH in 2010 than in 2009… And when the pH was lower than in 2009, not by all that much. What is perhaps more important is the overall average of higher alcohol. From what I have heard - I was only there just before the harvest - the increase in alcohol by and large is not always matched, really, by a corresponding increase in acidity. Although, yes, there is good potential freshness: this is not like 2003. And at least two people, Jean Claude Berrouet and Didier Cuvelier, compared the 2010 to the 1975, but better, in the sense that, yes, there are a lot of tannins (from the thick skins), but there is lushness, too. Two oenologists pointed out record sunlight, record anthocyanes (said Michel Rolland), so really deep dark colours. But it is so early. Let’s at least wait until the barrel samples are tasted.

I know less than nothing . . . . just going off of a combination of Rimmerman’s hyperbolic prose concerning anthocyanins and Jeff’s comment on lower pH. Seems like a good combination if it holds true.

I will sit back and watch everything unfold from here on! [whistle.gif]

Isn’t good and Burgundy an oxymoron? neener

Jon… Most producers will say every year is the best. They are in the business of selling wine. Prats is right about that. It’s up to the consumers to sift through the BS and determine where the truth lies.

If you read my reports on my site, you know as much as I know. Those reports are all written on direct comments from producers. There is no way for me to compare the vintages at this point. Prats is in Beijing today. I will try to ask him if he was comparing the weather, or potential styles of wine.

Greg… From reading, and talkng to producers, I imagine 2010 woill be a long lived vintage. Long lived vintages also take longer to develop.

But lush vintages can last just as long. for current reference, look at 1982 and 1990. If you want historical examples, 1959, 1953, 1950, 1947, 1929 and 1921 were all lush vintages. The best examples from those older vintages continue to offer compelling tasting experiences.

Generalizations do not offer a true picture.

As for lush vintages getting high marks. 2005 is not a lush vintage. Yet it earned very high scores.

Hi Panos

I wrote you back on Facebook. Thanks. I’ll meet with Maggie later today.

As for Leoville Barton, we have different feelings on the style of wine they produce. That being said, in 2010, they were one of the first chateau to finish harvesting in the Medoc. They might have completed their harvest before some propertes even started picking Cabernet Sauvignon . This is a not a right or wrong choice. It’s just a matter of the style of wine you want to produce.

Some wine makers have told me they could have pH levels of 3.50. Malo is not yet done. Things could change. But my guess is, the wines will not feature the same level of sex appeal found in 09. This will be welcome news to some people and not to others. Which is as it should be. We do not all share the same taste.

Faryan… It’s just my opinion. But 08 Pomerol is better than 06 and the wines are selling for less money than 06 in most cases

UPDATE: 2010 – This Year’s Vintage of the Century

…Take a deep breath and lets look at this scientifically.

In certain areas of the Left Bank the anthocyanins were among the highest ever recorded, far higher than 2000, 2005 or 2009 and that’s a very good thing for your cardiologist and your cellar.

…Jon Rimmerman

A ridiculous notion. Everyone knows that you can’t reduce a vintage, or an individual wine, to a single number. Unless…

…it’s an RP score! neener

Jeff, as you say, different strokes. But interesting sex appeal comment. That dovetails with some of the (“better version of”) 1975 comparisons some have made, and also when I spoke to the Boissenots about the very thick skins, high tannic content. I think we both share the general impression that it may be - may be - more a Left Bank vintage. But, again, so many people were gushing about the creamy aspect of Merlot, that I wonder. In the end, I am looking forward to tasting the 2010 from barrel.

Chrs, Panos

Jon… As I mentioned earlier, I asked Jean-Guillaume if he was talking about the style of the vintage or the weather when he compared 1990 with 2010. He said “I think that the two vintages are comparable in terms of weather patterns.”

Keep in mind, even with similar weather patterns, today, with yields being so much lower, coupled with strict selection, which did not take place in 1990, the wines will be very different in style.

Panos… 1975 is one of my least favorite Bordeaux vintages. I hope it shares nothing in common with 2010.

But until malo is done, it is hard to know what the vintage will be like.