2009 Guigal St. Joseph Vignes des Hospices

Remind me to keep you around should my ego falter. I was referring to the other bits of the 2015 tasting notes you referenced. What I think is funny is that Jeb Dunnuck suggests the Hospices 2015 is going to be a 94-97 and arguably the best ever, but has rated almost every vintage since 2009 either a 94, 95, or 96. That’s not really unusual for him, though.

Maybe the oak comes out with more air.

Apparently the 2015 Chateau Ampuis scores even more desert points from Parker. 97-99. Where is there room for LaLaLa

Hahahahaha

Cheers, Jonathan.

Wine Spectator: “… inlaid liberally with anise and apple wood notes…”

Apple wood? I’ve worked a lot of apple wood and I wouldn’t say that it has much of an aroma.

Pretty distinct when used to smoke meat though.

I took a chance on a bottle of 2002 and opened it about a month ago and it was surprisingly very good and pleased the group I was with.

i just took a flyer on three of the 15’s based on this thread. If the vintage provides the raw material, Guigal’s oak treatment is superlative, IMHO.

It was indeed. 2000 saw the Guigal oak regimen, but 1999 was simply bottled buy them.

That is one scary looking slope. If it was a ski run, it would probably get named something chilling like Verdun.