2008 Whitehaven Sauv Blanc & 2006 Aubert Reuling Pinot Noir

2008 Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough (8/9/2009)
First time with this producer. A nice Sauv Blanc although for the price it won’t really set itself apart. Right now it is young and grassy. The acids are not super high which makes it easy to sip. Didn’t find much complexity or much lying underneath but it is balanced and pleasant. (86 pts.)

2006 Aubert Pinot Noir Reuling Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/9/2009)
I know these can be controversial so I’ll start by saying I am a fan of the Chards … particularly the Quarry … which is sadly no more. I think this is the first time I have tried the 06. The wine was opened for a few hours but not decanted. Had over a few hours and saw some airtime in the glass. Overall I doubt air is a good thing for this. I would chill it down and swig it back. Nice aromatics although not really up my alley. Creamy and ripe. On the palate it seems in between worlds. After smelling and at the first sip I expected ripe fruit and mouth coating texture but it was more like ripe fruit and a lighter texture. Not light … but lighter than I expected. One thing this wine is, is flabby. If you are going to give me a flabby wine I want to be bowled over by the fruit and concentration. At sub $20 I think this delivered … but not at the price it fetches. Maybe I am totally getting this wrong and time will be its friend. Never aged a wine in this style so I can’t say from experience. (87 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

You are not getting it wrong. As good as the chard are the Pinot is very disappointing. I have yet to have one that lives up the ratings and cost.

On the Whitehaven SB 2008 I think you are totally right that it is just OK. I think that there have been other NZ SBs that have more intensity of flavors for the same or lower price like Saint Clair, Wither Hills, Palliser Estate, and Nautilus.
I am referring to the 2008s of those wines. In Marlborough for 2008 they had by about 60%, the largest harvest ever. Some wines suffered from overcropping. I feel the same way about Kim Crawford and Matua Paretai. They are OK wines but not up to previous vintages.

Thanks for the info … and some new names to me.

J