2008 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots

2008 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Bourgeots - Slow-oxed in the bottle for 8+ hours before writing this note. It was very tight when opened and took a while to open up. A very mineral driven wine with medium intensity aromatics of violet flower perfume and hints of smoke. I love the sweet purple flower aromatics of 2008 red burgundies. The wine is very lightweight with simple and thin cherry and floral flavors over a framework of stony minerality. Bright acid. A wine for the AFWE. I actually really like the genre of pretty and mineral driven cote de beaune reds but at $35 its not a great QPR. I can get the same thing from other producers for $20. B+ (many others would find this too thin but its balanced for this mineral lover).

Okay, fork over the names of the $20 wines.

Drouhin Chorey Les Beaune, Cote de Beaune Villages and Bourgogne. I guess their Savigny Les Beaune and Cote de Beaune (not be confused with Cote de Beaune villages) is closer to $30 now but still a much better QPR. Montille Bourgogne. Jadot’s lower end Cote de Beaunes (but they have more wood). Some Chandons can drink like this and can be good deals on closeouts.

All in all though I think Drouhin is the master of this style.

Try it in 5 years. Or 10.

OK

Thanks! I am dipping my toe in the Burgundy vat and this is very helpful.

To be honest, unless you are already a crazed acid head (not in the deadhead way), Im not sure if lower end Cote de Beaunes from a cool vintage are good starter wines.

+1 on this. Bouchard Baune du Chateau and/ or Potel Bougogne might
be better starters without breaking the bank. Look also to the import section of Scott Paul’s website. He has wines at all prices and preferences.

Hi there,

I would agree (and also admit that I like a bit more lubricity from my Burgundies than cool-vintage, lower-end Cote de Beaunes generally deliver). Go for a Bourgogne Rouge from a ripe vintage Cote de Nuits producer. 09s would be the obvious choice and Bourgogne Rouges are just starting to creep out onto the market. If you buy from a producer that likes them voluptuous you can be less picky about vintages - I had a 06 BR from Alain Burguet a couple of weeks back and it was simply lovely.

Cheers,
David.

Is there any satisfaction in knowing you are not a crazed acid head?

Oh Berry, Berry… such is my predilection for German Riesling I cannot deny relishing frightening acid action with more passion than even the combined desires of an undergraduate accommodation block at a particularly louche university during the 60s. I kid not! My cruelly abused stomach may scream and yelp when I drink Riesling and its ilk, but when it does I know I’m alive and riding at the sharp end of experiences. Yeah, do that acid thing to me baby!

I’m drinking a generic Pinot Gris from Boxler at the moment and, even with all its fruit and minerality, it is the searing acidity of it that tickles my fancy. [cheers.gif]

Cheers,
David.

David, now you are on a Boxler Pinot Gris before I have had my promised Riesling, a delay because the 08 Burg’s are so acidic satisfying. [drinkers.gif]

Hi Mike,

It has been a long night of no sleep, alas, so after the Pinot Gris I moved onto a screamingly acidic generic 2009 Riesling Qba from Willi Schaefer. It hurt. It hurt a lot. It was good. [cheers.gif]

Cheers,
David.

Crazed? Not sure. I do like Trimbach, though. Anyway, my intent was more vintage-independent - wines that you follow in that price range. Thanks for all the ideas.