2008 Piedmont (G Rinaldi, G Mascarello, Cappellano, etc.)

I’m happy with the 2008s I tasted/bought. Felt like a vintage that would age well. Not that I’ve tried any in the last 2-3 years, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some are closing down / closed down.

I’ve loved 2008 from the very first barrel samples to the last bottle I had, which was an all too young F Rinaldi Cannubi.

My only mistake was not buying like Tom did. I only bought 15 cases

I think that I detected a whiff of sarcasm regarding Klapp’s assessment of the vintage.

Is he even still alive?

Oh, very much so. And he lurks. And he e-mails me when he thinks someone here has said something inane.

Not really.

I don’t have a lot of experience with 08s. The last one I had was a Luigi Oddero - Bricco Rivera a year or so ago, which was drinking very nicely. And the Produttori crus have evolved nicely.

Bill liked 07, which I know better and don’t particularly like as a vintage. Hence, I don’t put great stock in his vintage assessments as predictors of my likes. And I don’t think 07 has a lot of boosters among Baroloheads. That’s what I was getting at.

(I think Bill told me in an e-mail when this topic came up before that he bases his view of 07s on Giacosa and a few others and that I should not diss the vintage based on wine made for peons. Well, I paraphrase, but you get the point.)

Oh, I didn’t know that. With the way he was erupting before going off the air, I thought he might have had a heart attack. Well, he better stay alive before I visit Piedmont so he can share his prrrecious with me.

He’s splitting his time between Piedmont and Burgundy, with more time in France these days, I think.

funny, we’d get emails and pms when he’d say something inane too! the world really is a snake eating its own tail.

I just picked up some 07 Luigi Oddero Barbaresco for a very reasonable price. I definitely lean more towards the even years from 04-10, but I’ve found some very enjoyable 07s from both communes.

3600-odd emails is a lot to deal with.

It’s not so much the number of e-mails as their length.

Remember, he used to get paid by the hour.

And he was always eager to tell us his rate.

[FYI, I expect to wake up to an e-mail from him.]

great notes!

i want to do a arneis get together. we’ll need to wait for the weather to warm up and find a deck/backyard to take over.

Props for not scoring the Cappellano, by the way.

I saw Adrian’s post within hours of it going up. I was wondering when someone would notice the “no score” for the Cappellano. I’m surprised it took this long! [wow.gif]
It was a nice touch.

Not to parrot too much, but to second and third Tom’s and Greg’s opinions of 08. Wonderfully perfumed, classic vintage. I also went long on 08 and am very happy I did.

Also re: massolino, I get what you are saying Adrian. For me his wines come across polished

Nice to read notes on 2008 Barolo.

I was initially skeptical but after tasting the wines (Produttori riserva, G Rinaldi, Bartolo Mascarello, Cappellano etc) I decided to buy a few cases for the cellar. Looking back I should have purchased a lot more.