2008 "Mostly Montrachet" Dinner -- 2008 Vintage Assessment and Premox Check Dinner No. 3

Don is the man.

I opened a 2007 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne on Saturday, which was in early premox. F-ing white Burgundy. :angry:

Chris:

Sadly, that doesn’t surprise me at all. About 15 months ago I bought two bottles of 2007 Louis Latour Corton and two bottles of the Montrachet from the Domaine’s late release. (They did the same thing on the 2008s.) I decided to open one of the Cortons before the 2007 Night One dinner. It was absolutely oxidized. For that reason, and having some other candidates available, I chose not to include the other bottle of 2007 in the 2007 Night One dinner. (I later opened it and yes, that bottle was also partially oxidized.) We opened a 2007 Montrachet at the Night Three “Mostly Montrachet” and it was fantastic.

This year, the 2008 Latour Corton wasn’t oxidized or advanced and was reasonably good on night one. http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125072 The Montrachet, as you can see from the notes above, while not oxidized, was very heavily botrytised and not at all an attractive wine.

What is really sad is that Latour has some exceptional Corton vineyards and used to produce the second-best Corton made. The Latour Cortons in the 70s and early 80s were on every burgundy drinker’s “must buy” list.