2008 DRC Grands Echezeaux - An Honest Review From a Non-Burg Drinker

I feel like you’re getting less stem influence from what you’re describing than you should have. The wine sounds muted. In my experience whole cluster on 08 drc is not at all subtle. Did you pop and pour this?

There’s no good wines, only good bottles. However, in this case I don’t think we had either. I agree that it sounds like an off bottle … of a less than stellar wine.

Just checked Meadows Issue 37 - the DRC 08 was about 60% to 70% whole cluster.

Here are the exact text -

*****…Yields though were very low, even for us at between 15 and 19 hl/ha. Sugars ranged between 12.5 and 12.8% and we de-stemmed between 30 and 40% of the fruit. ***

1 Like

Keith very well said. I stopped both - drinking DRC and paying hundreds of dollars for white burgundy wines…NOW.

I Just would like to my other comments to your points : DRC…are very pool QPR.

 The greatest disorder of the human mind is to believe that things are so because we wish them to be so. – Emile Peynaud.

To search for the highest magical height for the enjoyment of drinking a bottle of red burgundy…one needs to also add the surprising factor.

If the bottle of DRC wine delivers…one could conclude …yes - it should be…as the release price ( and/or secondary price ) is so high.

If the bottle of DRC wine fails ( like what we are talking now )…it is more disappointing… [head-bang.gif]

1 Like

Evan, I agree with you generally, but I think it’s especially true for DRC. The wines are made with 100 new oak and whole cluster, and I don’t think they’re meant to be at their best young. Whereas I have much less concern drinking 08s from producers like Mugneret-Gibourg or Mugnier, which show very well at younger ages.

deadhorse

Here was what Johnson said years ago - re DRC …too often bottles are in frankly poor condition.

****…as the prices of the Domain’s wines are so spectacularly high, one expects to find them not only exception in character but in perfect condition. They are essentially wines for very long bottle-ageing. What is surprising in that they often show sign of instability. It is almost the hallmark of ¨D.R.C.¨ wines that they are instantly recognizable by their exotic opulence, yet rarely identical from bottle to bottle. Too often bottles are in frankly poor condition. ****

1 Like

Drc are only bad QPR if you’re drinking them all right away on purchase. Drc has outperformed the S&P 500 by 3-4x this year. I could sell one of the bottles of 17 RSV for what I paid for two last year and drink for free. That’s pretty good QPR.

Hmmm…Micheal -you are giving a different example…to justify …your points.

BUY…please read and try to understand my points in my posts carefully. DRC is very poor QPR red burgundy if you buy them and only drink them ( without flipping them ).

They are poor QPR if you are prohibited from flipping them pileon .

They are one of the best wines for flipping…and there are also other …including the big-3 from Rousseau.

You should drink one 1 bottle each of all your big 3 Rousseau from 2017 only and let other to drink the rest of your big 3 Rousseau. You will drink all the rest of your Rousseau 2017 red …for free !!! [bye.gif]

Anything expensive is bad QPR. We’d all be drinking Bourgogne if that was the primary consideration.

Michael…one needs to figure out : where are you going !!

I went through the road to Burgundy for a while now.

I did not wish to argue…but : here was …what Stuart Beaunehead NIEMTZOW - wrote on the one of the thread on : 2021/06/10

**Who cares!! Until you have figured out your goals and limitations, etc…figure them out first…and then figure out a strategy to get there…asking a thousand more questions won’t get you to the starting point of figuring out your personal goals…just inaction…and “paralysis by analysis”.…

I’m perfectly happy with how my cellar is going. I buy wines I’d like to drink but for the most part also appreciate.

1 Like

Rich likes Brown.

Machial …I understand your point and I love to talk to you about red Burgundy wines.

But…once in a while, I have problem understanding some of your comments. Here is any example : *Anything expensive is bad QPR. We’d all be drinking Bourgogne if that was the primary consideration.

I will write slowly and explain. Meadows said : in burgundy…you pay for what you got and you seldom get what you not wish to pay for.

There is some true in that sentence. G-cru are expensive and so are 1er cru…now since 2018 vintage.

You will seldom…get the magical high form a Bourgogne rouge : unless it is from Bizot at release price. [wink.gif]

With your comments …like this …anyting expensive is bad QPR. We’d all be drinking Bourgogne if that the primary consideration……I am scathing my head [scratch.gif]

It’s pretty simple. You can get a very nice burgundy experience with various $30 Bourgogne. Paying 3x as much will only result in marginal increases in quality and paying
30 or 300x as much will only result in additional marginal increases in quality.

17 GE was delicious when we had it last year. Very surprised. If you do a vintage tasting of them young, it feels GE always shows more accessible

Victor…merci.

Class will always rules.

Rich,
The good news is that you have crossed drinking DRC off your list.
A lot of people tend to get a bit carried away when they write tasting notes for DRC because its DRC. The greatest Burg (singular) that I have drunk was a 78 DRC, but I have had PLENTY of bottles that didnt measure up.
In Burgundy you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince (DRC is no exception).

Well noted. To continue with your logic…may I know how many bottles of Bourgogne rouge you had bought ?

From reading you posts here…I am not sure ( and no offense is intended ) you also drinking them grouphug .

BTW…I am a big fun of …Bichot - Bourgogne v.v. (1066-7474 -$18). I buy them year in and year out since vintage 2011. Sadly SAQ did not release this wine in thier Depot Store ( one will get 15% discount automatically for a purchase of a case of any 12 bottles ) after vintage 2018.

QPR is much different than ROI.

1 Like

Hudelot Noellat BR is our house red so I have 5-10 cases of most vintages; maybe 50 total cases. I have a bit of Barthod too.