2008 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose

Just tasted it this afternoon. Nice, but nothing special. Doesn’t come anywhere close to the exception, delicious, amazing 2007 version.

I’ve watched this wine for years. It’s a good rosé. KLWM have managed to market this to the point of being a “brand”. This is
business. Smart trend spotting, sophisticated, exquisitely tasteful packaging, exploitable quality. It is not worth the price. If the 08 is a little less good, KLWM would never admit it. That would be bad business. Wine marketing is often a game of brinksmanship, keep on insisting it’s special and exclusive, force consumers to assert confidence in their own palates. The power of marketing and the insecurity of consumers will keep the brand going through several lesser vintages. I vastly prefer the pinot noir rosés from Burgundy and Sancerre and the best Loire rosés. Many are half the price. If one takes the time to
explore and seek out excellence and value, it is available.

I’ve had a couple of glasses of the 2008 over the past two nights. I think it’s very good. Not up to the 2007, but still preferable to my palate than most of the roses I taste.

-Al

I agree with Ned that Kermit has done an outstanding job marketing Tempier Rose. As far as pricing, I think the local price actually dropped a couple bucks this year.

-Al

I basically buy 3 types of Rose each Summer. Tempier, Ott ‘Rommassan’, and Pradeaux. Like 'em all. This year, paid $28 for Tempier, $30 for Ott and $23 for Pradeaux, for a ‘blended’ average of $27 per bottle. Seems just fine…

Add me to the list that tasted it, and thinks the 2007 was much, much better. Nice enough wine, but I’m passing.