2007 St. Innocent Momtazi - Why is this a Controversial Wine?

I can tell - the word ‘dirt’ didn’t make it into your note regardless of how many times he yelled it. [snort.gif]

But thanks for letting me sit in guys, it was fun despite the St I Momtazi.

I still got some dirt out it however like I said last night, that bottle was the BEST out of the three, the first bottle was was 100% dirt.

Pretty F-ing sad.

Its abundantly clear that the REAL reason Saxon loves St. Innocent,
is that the name so aptly describes himself… [wow.gif]

It sounds like it would be interesting to blind taste another of the Saxon/Envoyer bottles, a winery-sourced bottles, and one of Charlie’s (I assume Envoyer) bottles to see if the source is somehow the problem, although what could have happened to the Envoyer bottles is beyond my ken, or if Saxon is the problem.

I am less senstive to green in wines and liked this more than most last night… but “liked” is perhaps a strong word. Let’s just say I would have drank this over some of the other wines we had, but it wouldn’t have been close to my first choice.

I was more disappointed in the 99 St Innocent Seven Springs. Over-extracted, abrasively tannic and very little fruit to be found- this was supposed to be good (or so I expected)

Chris, if the wine was anywhere near as bad as this and the other thread suggest, there’s no way the murmurs could’ve been quelled.

Pretty sure it was the year before during a flight of 06 Comte Vogue: Chambolle Village, Bonnes Mares and Musigny. Beautiful wines. Sitting near me were two 60-ish couples from Alabama. The most vocal blonde audibly blurted out (probably heard by Francois Millet himself) something to the effect: “I don’t know about this French stuff. It’s no good at all. Why can’t they make it like they do in Napa!”. Before she’d tasted the GCs, I quickly offered to take them off her hands but thought she should know that the cheapest was in the $100/bottle range and that the Moose was probably $400+. The change in her attitude,interest and consumption (and the whole foursome) was astounding.

RT

edit for name accuracy

I’ve had it twice. It didn’t bring me to tears but it wasn’t awful either. First try was pretty good. Second try was on the greener side but still solid. I would think a Burghead could find something to enjoy about this.

I will crack one this weekend and report back! I do know my buddy Mr. Matsui has opened a few bottles and said they were fine. So who knows! I remember Wetrock and Hagen drank this too and thought it was fine.

I doubt it Cris, there wasn’t any fruit.

I really think there’s a big problem with this wine which explains why they were dumping 40-60 cases of it for half price. Somebody knew but wasn’t talking.

I bought 3 from Envoyer too. Here is my note on the one I have opened.

Red fruit, restrained, with ample acidity. Balanced and really interesting. The kind of Pinot I enjoy a lot. Nice with some pork. Opened at Legend with George Tita, the Yamadas and Wetrock. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

EXACTLY why a Burghead would enjoy it! neener [stirthepothal.gif]

But seriously, I understand the discount from the perspective of this not being up to snuff for a $60(or whatever it might normally sell for) vineyard designate bottling. Its clearly not at that quality level. The bottles I tasted seemed fine for $20. Its clearly not being loved far and wide though.

In which case the bottle variation, or the barrel variation (is there such as thing?) is stunning.

I don’t know if the bottle we had last night is representative or not … BUT … if it is, even discounted to $3 per bottle, I’d take a pass.

I’m not one to typically agree with Saxon, pileon– but NO FRUIT aptly describes last night’s bottle. As in ZERO. I went back to this glass often to see if it changed for the better. Sadly, it never did. I’m done.

It was $40 at the tasting room.

Too bad. It is amazing that all of Steve’s bottles have been consistant when there are bottles out there that show so different.

I have had 2 bottles from Envoyer and one purchased direct. All were excellent and I am looking forward to my next bottle in a year or so. I had the 07 out of barrel too since I couldn’t wait to taste the 07s after the dreadful [stirthepothal.gif] 06s were released. That being said, Momtazi is not normally a vineyard I go deep on. Personal preference.

St Innocent Pinot noir Momtazi Vineyard 07 - 90 points, Burghound - June 2010.

Would seem unlikely that AM tasted a bottle that resembled the one originally commented on in this thread.

Interesting. I had a bottle unlike anything anyone has stated. Opened it tonight and it actually had a sweet almost candy like fruit ala Russian river valley. The nose was also full of that high toned sweet cherry. Nothing green, no dry extract, wasn’t tight either and definitely wasn’t “burgundy” friendly.

Good drink for $20.

Charlie, this wine was $39 at the winery. You got it for $20 where?

I have a couple of 375’s. I’ll have to crack one soon to see how my bottles are showing. I bought these after tasting at St I and didn’t taste anything like described at the beginning of this thread, more like Charlie’s.

Envoyer