2007 Leflaive Chevalier

fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice . . .

Come on Alan, I have had pox’d wines from Ramonet, Dauvissat, Fevre, Martray, Sauzet, especially 1996 - 2005, I can’t count how many, only two that don’t get the fool me twice I can think of are Raveneau and Coche-Dury of which I get to drink them so rarely I just assume they are immune with 100% delicious rate.

For everyone who has poured a wine down the drain I agree its infuriating.

it’s the rate of pox and the refusal to admit for so long. I have also banished anything Fontaine and Droin, also Matrot. Most producers I don’t banish becomes of one offs and lower pricing.

Fair enough. I think the pox rate came out much later than many others…not sure why, but for some reason I always remember Leflaive on the safe side of ledger, til they weren’t.

I know that there are many people prepared to deal with the risks of premox, but this post just encapsulated why I stopped buying white Burgundy.

My understanding is that most of 2013 Lafon was under DIAM as well.

Yes I just had a 2013 Lafon Clos de la Barre with a DIAM 30. The wine was extremely young and fresh.

Hi Jerry

Happy belated birthday. Given the problems with the 2007 Leflaives that you and I and Alan all experienced together, I still have 14 of my original 18 bottles of 2007 Leflaive Chevy in my cellar. It was the one time I had really splurged on buying Leflaive – because of the 2007 vintage – and in retrospect it was a huge mistake. A few months ago I brought home two bottles of the 2007 Chevy and my one remaining bottle of the 2007 Batard. To my surprise, all were drinkable, and weren’t premoxed (though one of the Chevys was pretty mature), but they had no resemblance stylistically to the Leflaive wines from vintages like 1996, 1999, 2000 and 2002. (Like Brad said, 1996 was a breathtakingly good wine.)

Like Alan, I’m done with Leflaive. The truly insane pricing plus the dishonesty are impossible to tolerate – even for buying single library bottles. Moreover, because Leflaive is bottling with only 20-25 ppm of free SO2 (from vintage 2015 onward), this will likely mean that people buying the wines will someday experience oxidized Leflaive bottled with DIAM. It’s just a question of how many years before it happens.

Thanks Don. And I too am done with Leflaive. Their new pricing should reflect all the premoxed bottles they have had until it is proven that they are back on track. And why buy Leflaive when PYCM is making such great wines??