2007 Burgundy - 10 year retrospective

You folks are mostly talking about wines at the very top of the heap. I don’t really buy grand crus anymore, so for me at the village and premier cru level, I still agree with Paul. Volnay is a sweet spot for me always, so I have sampled several, and they pretty much fit the mold of the vintage for me. Producers in and out of Volnay that I buy most years–d"angerville, pousse d’or, Chandon de Briailles, Pavelot, jadot, Chevillon, etc so far are pleasant wines but somewhat “simple” is the best term for me. they are cheaper and accessible early, which are both excellent things, but to a certain extent you get what you pay for. After trying a number because of reports of showing well early, I gave up and decided to give them a more normal chance to develop. so I’m hoping that with a proper amount of time we’ll get lighter weight, charming, aromatic wines that have finally developed a little underlying complexity.

Hi Don,

Yes, talking about reds and not whites, although we are finding some of the '07 whites are not holding up as well as we thought, but that is another story…

FWIW, we had the '07 Rousseau Beze recently, it was slightly under-ripe looking, a bit simple with that slightly herbal chemical note I find in many '07’s. Whilst it was ok, no one really got excited about it, and I think it was perhaps the worst Rousseau Beze I have had in a long time. The Chambertin earlier this year evoked fairly similar feelings.

It was no where near as good as the '11 Beze we had a few weeks ago (and neither is the '11 Chambertin, which is very, very good). I think '11 can be a bit of a minefield vintage, but the good wines at the top are (IMHO) superior in quality to '07 by a fair margin. Just my 2c.

No Bouchard or Le Moine wines tasted in recent memory, so I can’t comment there (BTW we had a badly premoxed Le Moine '11 Chevalier the other week - how surprising!).

I do find DRC’s '07’s to be the weakest DRC lineup in the last 15 years (the '04’s are definitely better).

I also didn’t really enjoy any of the Faiveley '07’s much I have tasted (including the Beze), ditto most of the Rousseau’s I have had (don’t recall a CDLR but probably have had it), thought a Mugnier Musigny looked like a village/1’er wine at best (so simple and one dimensional), disliked all three of the Leroy GC’s from '07 I have tasted, thought the Rouget Ech. and CP were both ok (but not great, and not worth the $$$ like the rest), and hated the '07 Ponsot CDLR etc…(although the Roumier Bonnes Mares and Les Cras are both very good I do admit).

Most of the wines I have tasted are the higher end GC’s, so perhaps my expectations are too high, but either way I still think '07 is a poor QPR vintage.

Generally though when we do blind vintage lineup’s with '07’s in them, the '07’s tend to come last (by both my rating and the groups) pretty much every time, so I know it can’t be just my bias.

Not much more I can add here. I do like '00 though for drinking (and much more than '07).

Some of my best buys from 2007 were from Pernand Vergelesses and Corton. $30 for the Chandon de Brailles Illes de Vergelesses and $50 for the Corton Bressandes. Have loved the Illes de Vergelesses but have not opened the Cortons yet.

I am not a fan of the vintage either. This thread’s tasting was a great exception because you are throwing out producers that are remarkably consistent and make great wine in the worst vintages. A huge, huge exception to the bulk of the '07 Burgundies. Especially since it’s a vintage surrounded by great vintages. Why risk it?

Howard–these are sweet-spot wines that I own as well, but generally slow agers. I tried a few about a year ago, but decided they would be bettr with some additional age, so quit. I’m aiming to restart at about age 12. I found them quite nice/pleasant but not to die for, probably still bargains, but also appropriate to be somewhat cheaper.

It was no where near as good as the '11 Beze we had a few weeks ago (and neither is the '11 Chambertin, which is very, very good). I think '11 can be a bit of a minefield vintage, but the good wines at the top are (IMHO) superior in quality to '07 by a fair margin. Just my 2c.

Merci…Paul. champagne.gif

I am going to backfill more 2011 G-cru ( with SAQ here in Quebec, Canada ). Their prices are reasonable when compare to the same wines from vintage 2012, 2013 and/or 214.