2006 G Conterno Cascina Francia vs 2007 Mascarello Monprivato

Which would you choose (if forced to) between these two wines?

G. Conterno Cascina Francia 2006 vs 2007 Mascarello Monprivato.

Haven’t had either but I expect the 07 will be more open and fruit driven while the 06 more structured, 06 would be my choice.

To buy and store until maturity, or to drink with dinner tonight?

I love Mascarello Monprivato and have many bottles in my cellar, but they don’t offer much in their youth. They aren’t enamel-stripping tannic and astringent in the way many young Barolos are, but rather, they can be very simple and unremarkable when they are young. I’d go with the Conterno for drinking now, and give it a long decant.

To store 15+ years [cheers.gif]

I think you can’t go wrong with either. If you prefer one grower to the other, go with the one you prefer.

Tough choice. I love both. I’d probably go with the Monprivato because it always surprises me that a wine so light in color can be so intense. It often makes for nice conversations about wine and pre-conceived notions.

The difference in vintages is more significant than any possible difference in quality. Since you said 15+ years, the answer is simple: BOTH!

Why is it a choice between these 2? 07’s in general will drink much better earlier. If you are young and/or a tanninhead, you want to be stocking your cellar with 06’s.