2006 Cristom Mt Jeff & 2006 WesMar Sur Lees

2006 Cristom Pinot Noir Mt. Jefferson Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (7/3/2009)
As I go to type this note, I see that 1 year ago I said to wait 2 years. Oops. Should have had this at the off site. I enjoyed the wine slightly less than previously. A very nice wine but so many of the 06s are tasting the same. The Mt Jeff has a very complex nose but it is slightly to aggressive. On the palate there is tons of fruit along with a light earthy element. A very nice wine which does still need some time but not sure it will ever show great distinctiveness. (88 pts.)

2006 WesMar Pinot Noir Sur Lees Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (7/3/2009)
As most come to expect with WesMar, this smells very nice. There is a bit of a plum element. The aromatics were more complex on the second day, adding herbs and earth. At the front and middle the wine is nice and pure. The finish is a bit tweaked by bitterness and heat. This wine is slightly soft and easy drinking but still needs a few years for the fruit to lay back. (88 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

I have enjoyed WesMar as well, but it does need some time.

What was the color like? They have always been unusually light colored for me.

They do need some time. This is a not often seen bottling as they usually only bottle for themselves but as part as their “economic stimulus” program they added these free with the last order. This wine was not as feminine or light as some of their bottlings and some of their wines, maybe do to certain vineyards have had a darker bigger quality. But the quality, price and class of WesMar is top notch imo.

Jason