2005 Core Blend & 2009 Mark Herold Achca Red

• 2005 Core Red Blend - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (11/20/2012)
    The last time I had this was 5 years ago when it was a bouncing baby and showed as much. While I liked it a lot, I was unsure about the wines structure. Well 5 years later, this great bargain has really come into balance. And the tannins are more present with some of the other elements settling down. Great citrusy aromas. This wine is starting to become pretty. Should have saved more. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Mark Herold Wines Acha Red - USA, California (11/18/2012)
    Big oaky wines are not my normal go to wines but on occasion I really enjoy them. And certainly Mark Herold can do it well. I had this over 3 days. Probably best on the second day as by the 3rd day there showed more heat and oak. On the first night there were reductive stinky elements. The second night the wine was massive and ripe but also very compelling. Big and full bodied with really gripping tannins. And no heat at this stage. Fun stuff. Glad we are seeing U.S. Tempranillos but i am not crazy about the pricing of this one. (92 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

Jason, what is the price? As far as domestic Tempranillos go, my favorite by a country mile is Gramercy Cellars. I think the relase price on that is $42ish? The production is decent over 400 cases or so. It is not a big oaky wine at all, you might llike it, if you have not already tried it.

This is around the $40 range as well (it was a gift so not positive what they paid). A decent value but there is so much from Spain out there for cheaper and with more age on them. I think the previous vintage was cheaper.

I will check out Gramercy Cellars. Looks like they are doing some interesting things but I have never had their wine.

Cheers,

Jason

I bought a case of this and have liked it through all its stages. Never great or profound but always good and for lack of a better word fun. Opened my most recent in feb and noted that it was finally starting to show some age and that I should drink up the rest over the next 18 months. Maybe it has longer ahead but with only two remaining I doubt I will find out.