2005 Burgundy Advice

[cheers.gif] If you “coravine” the bottle, red burgundy 2005 may be better on day 2 as it will be that little more opened.

My advice would be to drink some young Burgundy first. Buy some 2016 or 2017 from producers whose wines drink well on release, for example Chambolle from Bertheau, Chambolle or Vosne villages from Hudelot Noellat, Mercurey or any of the Cote D’Oe villages wines from Faiveley. There are many others. These wines have been really good recently and while they aren’t aged Burgundy they are absolutely a good introduction to Burgundy. If you like these young wines then it’s worth exploring older and more expensive wines.

For sure Jay. Wish I did more of that these days.
Back in the day, when my cellar was sparse, I bought to both drink upon purchase and to hold as well. Young burgundy is downright delicious as a current release wine. Doesn’t give the full burgundy experience of an aged version but still a pleasure to drink.

Curse you Craig, this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Probably helps that we tasted some of those together.

So yes - try 2017, if you like what you taste then you probably like Burgundy [cheers.gif]. And of course they are all in stores now, readily available, and getting discounted like crazy, along with everything else.

I do not have a tasting note for the 2005 Les Cras. I almost never try that one young because it is inevitably tight- even against the grand crus. 2002 Bonnes-Mares was very open at release for a short time- but the Les Cras was completely unreadable. That was the last time I opened Les Cras at release.

In the bigger picture- I think Les Cras is the sweet spot wine these days. The prices are just so horrifically bad across the board now (even Roumier’s Bourgogne is 3 digits), that I think Les Cras is the best QPR choice. Chambolle used to be the QPR winner for me, but even so the Les Cras was always worth stocking up on while people fought over Amoureuses. If memory serves, in the 95 vintage I paid $125 for Musigny, $90 for Bonnes-Mares and Amoureuses, $25 for Chambolle and about $65 for Les Cras. A lot of people ignored Les Cras at the time- too expensive. It is almost comical to look back at those days now.