2003 Pegau Reservee

Carl your twisting my arm : )

Opened one of the few I have after reading so many glorious reviews and figured I should try one on the young side. This bottle was not up to snuff. No VA, brett, or signs of heat damage (I’ve had this in my cellar since release). While it seemed there was something lurking underneath, there was no lushness or density of fruit. The finish was extremely short. No TCA was detected, so either this bottle was shut down or it was corked to a low degree resulting in a subdued character. I had extremely high hopes and was largely disappointed. Hoping the remaining bottles I have are much better. This was a Premier Cru (grey market import).

Joe,

Your bottle sounds corked to me…

commercial post: I import Pegau to most of the U.S.

personal note: I’m probably going to ramble a bit here.

Pegau has brett. If not properly handled, it can ‘bloom’ and result in too much brett. It is always important to keep wine cool, but it’s more important with Pegau than with most other wines. We ship temp controlled and warehouse temp controlled. I basically won’t let my customers pick up in warm weather unless they’re sending a refrigerated truck. After that, it’s sadly out of my hands.

I like but don’t love the 2003 vintage. Like many on this thread, I tend to prefer the ‘under the radar’ vintages. I generally like Pegau best at 10+ years. I’ve had bottles as old as 40, carried straight up from the cellar and popped. Every one of the really old ones (really old by CdP standards) was a glory, but I can’t recommend that you try this at home. For wines that have been shipped, I think 30 is probably pushing it. I’m in no hurry on my last few bottles of '85 but they’ll be back to the water table within 5 years.

My favorite recent vintages have been 2004, 1999 and 1994. I think 2001 is potentially very great, but an anomaly in that it’s somewhat closed at 10 years of age. 1998 is a treasure right now, and for a more delicate vintage so is 2000 (I don’t think 2000 will make old bones, IMO it’s ready to go even with best provenance). 1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one. IMO opening 2003 Pegau when Burgundy is also being poured is just asking for trouble.

1995 and 2005 were vintages that I thought would be really good, but never developed as I hoped. However my last few 1995s were the best I’ve had, so don’t write it off. It’s still pretty young IMO.

2006 is lovely right now but I think will be better in 5 years, which should be about peak. 2007 is built to last. 2009 is big and lush, will probably never shut down and push my 30 year limit for this side of the pond. 2010 is massive massive massive and also really big. I’m thinking it will demand bottle age.

Dan Kravitz

Cap’n Dan, what about 2008?

Like these but too much Brett for my dinner companion so I’m no longer a buyer

As for 2008, it was a typo on my part to write “1998 is a frankly light vintage, but really tasty. If you insist on opening Pegau when there is Burgundy on the table, this would be a good one.” I mean to write 2008. 1998 is a BIG vintage that IMO is drinking beautifully right now but will improve for at least 5 years (assuming good provenance and storage).

2008 is a delicate beauty that will probably peak at 8 - 10 years. I would not hold it past 15, but balance is important and this has it. Laurence will be here in a few weeks and as part of a tasting we’ll be opening '97, not considered much of a vintage. Laurence is sending it, so I now assume it’s going to be terrific (or she wouldn’t bother). '08 is reasonably priced (by Chateauneuf and Pegau standards) and should be enjoyable every day of its life; it’s not the kind of vintage that will shut down.

Dan Kravitz

Dan Kravitz

Dan,

As you know, I agree with you about 94 and 99 on the one hand and 95 on the other. I kept a couple of bottles of the 95 back from our trade. I’m glad I did, because, as you say, the wine tastes better than one might have hoped, but I don’t for a moment regret the trade.

I haven’t opened an 05 yet because I was always struck by its tannin. But a lot of 05s (among them Charvin) are drinking surprisingly well right now. They are too young, but they are lively and vibrant rather than moody and sulking. I’d be interested in hearing reports on the Pegau.