2003 Napa Cab Boardwide Virtual Tasting REDUX- Post them here!

2003 Larkmead Solari Reserve. Honestly, a disappointment. Pretty simple on the nose and palate. Nose was all cassis, with a hint of vanilla. Mouthfeel was a little thin and was all midpalate. Not a lot of depth or complexity. Maybe just too young? I hope, anyway.

2003 herb lamb cabernet.

Tightly wound and dense, filled with leather, dark brooding fruit, a sprinkling of spice with a light mint juice quality in the background. Long finish of cedar and smoke. Reminds me almost of the 2000 lynch bages if you get rid of that vegetal/mint hint from the herb lamb.

Carrie, Randy, Armando Ceja (my neighbor), and I got together for a few wines this past Friday. Started out the evening with Pizza, a nice 2006 Raptor Ridge Reserve Pinot Noir and a just ok 2003 A Rafanelli Cabernet. The 2003 Napa Cabernets opened shortly thereafter were:

2003 Colgin IX Estate - Coffee and chocolate on the nose, dark berries, little raisin, tar and ash on the palate. Recollect not a lot going on in the finish. More bordeaux in style than the Tychson, it was closed and took some time to open up. It was not decanted, and overall, did not improve much in time.

2003 Colgin Tychson - Cherry, candied, ripe, bright fruit, some cranberry, nice overall structure. Reminded me of a “light” 2000 Hundred Acre Cab. At first, thought the IX was the better wine and more ageworthy, but after some time drinking both Colgin side by side, preferred the Tychson.

The highlight of the evening however was the dessert wine, a 2005 Lillian. Thanks Carrie and Randy!!! Very generous of you to share such a nice wine with us!

[thankyou.gif] Nick, and thanks for the A Rafanelli & IX… it was lots of fun, Armando was great to have join us.
It was really interesting how the 2 Colgins went in opposite directions