2003 Napa Cab Boardwide Virtual Tasting REDUX- Post them here!

2003 Larkmead Solari Reserve

So Mike, would a 03 Colgin IX Estate qualify for the virtual tasting at 64% Cabernet? We are on the berserker board and can be just a touch bit rebellious, true? [berserker.gif]

Go nuts… I mean berserk.

:smiley:

I’ll go for the 2003 Hestan Meyer Vineyard

Nick,
Which night are you thinking of? If anyone else is going to be in the area they are more than welcome to join us.

Will do the Arrowood 2003 Sonoma Valley CS, Monte Rosso Vineyard.

Carrie, the 3rd would be best here if it works for you. An all Colgin night would be fun . . . [berserker.gif]

Nick,
Sounds good to me. [cheers.gif]

I am game, either the 03 Hourglass or the 03 Dominus or both.

I’ll be around and will participate. Will pick out an '03 or two and get back to you.

Have had this in the past year and it is very nice!!

I’ve got it down to either Match, Neal, or Karl Lawrence.

I’m in sort of… albeit late. On the 11th, I’ll be attending a dinner where one of the wines will be 03 Peju cab…

Sorry to jump the gun here but here is my contribution:

• 2003 Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/30/2009)
    Dark fruit and a cinnamon/vanilla on the nose. Incredibly smooth and balanced but the tannins are there which tells me this can go for at least a few more years. All in all an incredibly enjoyable wine. This is exactly what I look for in a Cali cab. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, Dave. I shared one with Pete, Jorge and Kevin a few months back. I would have to agree with your notes. Glad I have one more. [wink.gif]
Drink another 03 for me as I am on antibiotics and will miss my own virtual tasting. [welldone.gif]

it’ll be my third time in slightly over a year having it. I may buy something to go along with it as I don’t want to break into my stash of tognis

I’ll pop a Shafer HSS.

I’ll have to find an Andrew Geoffrey, i know I have a few and impressed me a couple of years ago.

Since I will be out of town this weekend and may not have a chance to post, I will go ahead post my notes on a 2003 Larkin Cabernet Sauvignon.

Drank on July 2. Beautiful purple/ruby and offers bouquet of of dark berries, coffee, chocolate, and smoke. Pretty plush in the mouth with flavors of currants and mocha. There is definitely smoke and oak but not overbearing. Well integrated with medium finish. Will definitely go well with a good porterhouse (wish I was having one tonight). Unfortunately, this was my last bottle.

Ouch. Fortunately in this case, no relation.

• 2003 Sloan - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/2/2009)
    Some blueberry, tobacco, and sage, but that’s about all the positives I can note about this wine. Not flawed. Out of balance, the fruit was awkward rather than being integrated. Heavy alcohol aroma and taste (in fact it burns the throat). Astringent. Overbearing raw, green oak. With time in the decanter, the EToH blew off a bit but the wine’s rough edges just became sharp pointy corners that hurt. This reminded me of one of those wines that you get poured for you from the bar at a big party or event and you decide to switch to beer. Perhaps acceptable if in the sub-$10 category, but I’m quite surprised at the low quality here. Yes, 2003 was a difficult year in Napa but this wine is an example of the need for winemakers to adapt to a vintage rather than trying to force that big Napa style. I would have bulked this wine off and declassed the vintage. I’m a literal scorer so this below average wine would have received the same score no matter the price, but it probably would have escaped the scathing comments. (73 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker