2003 Chamber of Horrors

Thanks Arv for reviving this - it’s interesting to think about 2003 three years later. I still have a few which I open from time to time. I’ve enjoyed a Lafon-Rochet and a Sociando-Mallet this year, and one of the discoveries I made since this thread was Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre (yes, I know, Overkill! as Lemmy once bellowed!), which was by a country mile the best Margaux I have tried.

For me at least, even the good ones are never as good as in other ripe vintages. I’ve yet to have a wine which makes me think that it is good because of the vintage rather than in spite of it. I know others have had a huge amount of pleasure from 03s, which is the whole point after all. Personally I’ve actually preferred wines from both 02 and 04, even from châteaux like Léoville-Barton which are among the better in 03.

Luckily, I think that the errors made in 2003 will probably never be made again. Some of the weather patterns in recent years have not been that different to 2003, without the same results. It’s a learning curve.

2 Likes

The 2 bottles of 2003 Château Lascombes we opened this year were tasty.

1 Like

I love the 2003 Sociando Mallet, truly a magnificent creation.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed 2003 Pichon Baron, Pontet Canet, and Leoville Barton…had some horrendous interactions with Lascombes, in particular, and Priuere Lichine.

1 Like

Even with successful wines in that vintage, it depends on what you want in a Bordeaux. The most recent one I had a few months ago, Leoville Poyferre, had a glorious, expansive nose with fruit, mint and forest floor and considerable depth of flavor. The structure was loose for a Bordeaux, exhibiting what I might call “soft-fruitedness,” or whatever the opposite of “chiseled” would be, and it’s unlikely to make for old bones. The one before that was Calon Segur, which had surprisingly fresh fruit and an airy weightlessness that was wonderful, but nothing in the way of tertiary characteristics, and unlikely to develop them before it collapses. I liked both considerably, but I wouldn’t call either of them typical for a Bordeaux (the Leoville more so).

1 Like

That wine has always been open and always been really good.

Pontet Canet is the only 2003 claret I have left for loyalty and sentimental reasons. While not quite out of the zombie apocalypse, like some other 2003s, it is a strange Frankenstein-like creation, which stumbles from one discombobulated iteration to another.

1 Like

Ian, fun read and 2003 Montrose and 2003 Barton for me. And while I have drank through my fair share of 2003s as I did enjoy the fact that I didn’t have to wait 20+ years to drink these proposition, I will concede that they were variable at best.

Chamber of Horrors - the sequel: 2003 Bordeaux revisited - 2/16/2023

Last night ten of us assembled to mark the 20th anniversary of the 2003 vintage at Piccolinos behind Liverpool Street Station, in the City of London.

Some of these 2003s reminded me of that famous woman-in-the-bath-in-room-237 scene in the Stephen King’s The Shining.

The Gaston Chicquet 2008 magnum was a civilised way to start the proceedings. Bready, yeasty, with good palate presence, though short of outstanding 90

On to the first flight of St-Emilion. The Beausejour Duffau Lagarrosse, 13.5% abv, had an attractive mellow red fruited nose with hints of decay. That was the best bit, because it had a roasted quality too and the palate was a mess. It was coarse and astringent and short on the finish. An omen of things to come but by no means the worst wine last night 80

In this company the Tertre Roteboeuf was triumphant. It started with a really intense exotic red fruited nose which carried over into the palate, which was lush, smooth and round, in typically exuberant fashion. Really enjoyable but with 14.5% abv I am not sure if I could get through a whole bottle. But a terrific effort in a difficult vintage on the right bank and deservedly my and the group’s wine of the night 91

On to the miscellaneous left bank flight starting with Giscours. This had a red fruited nose but then literally nose-dived like a kamikaze pilot attacking Pearl Harbour. Horribly roasted and acerbic on the palate. A shocker! 75

The next two wines were a lot better. Ducru Beaucaillou fashioned an accomplished wine amid the challenges of the 2003 vintage. It is nicely balanced and has been drinking well for over a decade. It has become a bit soft now but still has decorum, with decent persistence. But put it next to the 2002 we had last July and the 2003 would be a long way behind. Still creditable, 90

The Sociando Mallet had a bit of a bretty volatile nose initially but that receded. Now there is nothing really smooth or refined about this - it is somewhat rustic - but it has an attractive chewiness and savouriness to it. It has a bit of grippy tannin left, cedar, cigar box and green pepper notes, with little of the odious roasted, bitter and acerbic traits that marred many of the other wines last night, especially the Pauillacs, the worst flight of all. In fact if I had to choose a wine from last night’s line up I would like to spend an evening with - perhaps on a Friday night with steak and chips in front of the tele - this would be the one 89

On to the Pauillac flight. The good news was that the ghastly, discombobulated Grand Puy Lacoste was not in the line up. The bad news was that the ones that did make the line up were just as bad as the GPL was last time. Batailley was even worse than I feared, really unpleasantly astringent. I won’t dwell further on its shortcomings, just flat out terrible 77

The Duhart Milon had an unpleasant roasted almost burnt quality. This is suppose to be the coolest micro climate in the left bank. It was very green and astringent on the palate. This was the problem in 2003, the grapes were burnt before they ripened; horrible 78

Pontet Canet is just getting worse as it ages. I have had much better bottles of this in the past as recently as 2017. In a sense it is not actually aging because what hits you first is an intense burst of primary fruit. But it all goes horribly wrong on the palate which has now become highly astringent, bitter and unpleasant. The only thing you can say it was marginally the least awful wine in this desperately dismal flight 79

Fortunately things improved dramatically in the St. Estephe flight. Montrose 2003 is a bit of a legend, it is revered. Some bottles I have tried have been surprisingly evolved, while this one was rather backward and unyielding. Clearly Montrose was helped in 2003 by being right up close to the Gironde. It has a lot of ripeness, bordering on over ripeness, with walnut notes. It is recognisably claret but there is nothing particularly enjoyable about this wine. I think this is because it is starting to dry out. Not sure where this is going. Probably on a slow boat to China. It was better a decade ago 89

Cos D’Estournel I found a bit weird and I would not immediately recognise this as claret. It is characterised by dark chocolatey Bourneville notes. Like the Montrose very ripe, and I am not sure where this is going. Others rated this quite highly and clearly one of the better wines last night, but I would struggle to drink more than 2-3 glasses in one sitting 89

Lafon-Rochet showed well. It is ripe, intense and also has dark chocolate notes, allied to some exotic spices like cardamom which made it a little more interesting than its two flight mates. Like its flight mates it was not marred by roasted notes and had an inky intensity which I quite liked 89

Rieussec has lost some of its youthful exuberance and vigour, but it was still a pleasure after most of what preceded it 90

4 Likes

I’m surprised by your experience. This wine has been, to my yak-like palate, just wonderful all through its life span. I’ve probably had 10 bottles or more. Maybe the last one was two years ago or so.

Not a criticism, just a different experience and point of view. Thanks for taking time to share your notes.

1 Like

Has to be bottle variation, I bought some last year from CWC, the first bottle was fantastic and fresh.

Maybe it was a root day? I find 2003 are best enjoyed on a sun day.

Those are rare. Only 52 a year

The only 2003 BDX I have is Lynch Bages. I recall it being nowhere near ready a few years ago, and perhaps a bit unexciting, but not marked by any of the adverse characteristics of extreme heat vintages.

Not BDX, but I opened a 2003 Ceretto Barbaresco Asili this week and it was quite nice. Perhaps a bit more mature than expected, which is something I’ve found with '03 Burgs as well, but the Barbaresco also seemed fresher on day two, so who knows that that means for longer term aging.

In 1911 there were 53 Sundays.

2 Likes

This has been terrific for years. Last bottle was Christmas Week 2022 and the wine, quite youthful, was nothing like some here reporting. I have had many bottles of this wine and think it is actually an underrated 2003. I snuck this in as a ringer in a tasting and no one (including a local buyer for a retailer) pegged it as a 2003 either. Leoville-Barton, Leoville-Poyferre, Montrose and Sociando have all been worthy of cellar space.

2 Likes

Bourneville notes? Please translate for us Yanks.

P.S. It’s great fun to read your notes.

Leoville Barton is my only remaining 2003. Anyone had it recently? CT notes seem much more positive than Ian’s notes on most of its vintage-mates.

Hi John apols it is a brand of dark chocolate from Cadbury … this is the retro label from the 1970s the one I remember

1 Like

I honestly have no clue what wine this review was about, as it has nothing to do with the 2003 P-Cs I’ve had lately, one as recently as a few months ago.
I think it is drinking as it’s peak but no downside in sight any time soon. Nothing overripe or burnt in it.

1 Like