2002 La Tache: Sell now or later?/update: I may have messed up

Thanks Yong.

I am very heavy on CA Cabs from 2002, so looking for a special bottle from Burg. Also have a number of 2002 bubblies.

Nice to have a fairly good wine year to get married in.

Just to add, next year 2022 it will be your 20th anniversary. The money you save buying wines I suggest or something similar, buy her Platinum (Modern 20th year anniversary gift).

Ok. Just read your response. Let me think of a burg then.

2002 Mugneret Gibourg GCs are in your price range if you can find any.

Drouhin CM Les Amoureuses may be within the price range.

Brodie

I love this necro’d thread actually.

Rebuy the 02 La Tache and tell her you were right. It’ll hurt, but it just may save the rest of your collection.

1 Like

Ha! I used to brag to my wife about how much I bought a wine for and how much it’s worth now. I’ve learned now that it is mostly a no-win conversation.

1 Like

2002 Haut-Brion also pretty great…

Arnoux-Lachaux RSV
Bouchard Pere et Fils La Romanee
Dujac CdlR
Vogue Musigny VV

Here are some of my recs. I dont know what is available to you generally speaking.

I’d second the Drouhin Amoureuses and Mugneret-Gibourg generally. I’ve had both recently; wonderful wines.

02 Mugnier is in a fabulous place right now.

2002 Dujac is more divisive, I’d say - it depends on how much you like Dujac’s current style. Not everyone does.

I would seek out some 2002 Arcadian Pisoni PN - an outstanding wine

Post this one on the wall of “comments that don’t age well”. [oops.gif]

Interesting. A couple of years ago we were drinking an 03 DRC RSV and at the same moment my friend happened to be at L’Atelier in Vegas and sent me a pic of the wine list that showed it listed for $8k. I did a spit take and told my wife and all she cared about was that I didn’t spend $8k on the bottle.

Might want to quote the full post next time, aged just fine if you read the whole thing. For perspective, Google stock is >5x its value from when this thread was posted, Amazon >10x, the S&P index around 2.5x. Trophy wines will always go up in price but that doesn’t make them smart places to park your money for investment purposes. The best advice has always been to buy what you want to drink and if the price pops you have options, if it doesn’t you’ll still have good wine to drink.

3 Likes

Looks like Andrew’s post hasn’t aged well.

4 Likes

[rofl.gif]

It’s hard to believe someone would do anything but laugh at themselves after a comment like that. But ok. [scratch.gif] A couple of stocks are up more than DRC. [whistle.gif]

1 Like

I had 5 mixed cases of 90 DRC. $2000/case. Hit $10,000 a case and I just knew that was the peak. Could only go down from there. Sold some. It’s now $100,000 a case.

That is just insane.

There’s so much to unpack in your story, and it puts a fine point on how much the market for DRC/Burgundy has evolved:

1. Availability, one could buy 5 cases of DRC at a wine shop.

2. Price, one could buy some of the best Burgundy in the world for $100-$200/bottle

3. Appreciation, 50X return after 30 years. DRC (and a few others) has evolved to be an asset class.

could have bought 10 mixed cases and cases of other wines including 6 packs of RC. Sat on the floor. Nobody bought. 90 DRC la Tâche was $233/bottle. I traded a bunch of California wine that the store owner could sell in a heartbeat for the DRC wines that were a hard sell back then. Raveneau, Roumier, Coche, all the now anointed “great” wines sat. You could buy a bottle, take it home, taste it a week or two later, and go back and buy as much as you wanted. 96 Coche Corton C was $300. Wish I had known then that those were the good old days.