2002 DIDIER DAGUENEAU SILEX POUILLY-FUME

Thanks Doug and Mike for the Benjamin update. There’s a local friend/ winemaker who was a close friend of Didier and has some of the more recent releases from the son. He also makes Sauv Blanc to a high degree of quality. I’m curious as to know what his experience has been with the son`s wines. Will report back.

Here’s the response I received: "Blake, I tasted the 2008 and 2009 En Chailloux and the Silex from those years, the first vintages made by Benjamin after Didier passed just before Harvest 2008.

I have tasted a couple of newer vintages but can’t remember with certainty which vintages. I found the 2008 and 2009 wines to be quite different in style than earlier vintages, and that makes me think that Benjamin might have been influenced by young winemakers like Chidaine who make their white Loire wine in a Burgundian style. I prefer the more classical non malo style for Loire whites."

and so, there we have it

I agree with Doug & Mike…and I’m sitting on a few of the 2004’s from the Jurancon that Didier made. I think those wines will outlive me…I have four left to test that theory.

Jurancon, not Jura. They’re incredible wines.

Sorry, yes–quite right, thanks Doug!

This was pretty special. My last of 12. Very honeyed on the nose with a kiss of botrytis. The palate was completely dry with tangy tropical fruits and a strong line of minerality.
B94DDFA5-F1BD-45D4-BAE5-62845ED20F5B.jpeg

Had a 2009 Silex on Saturday night, was a very good wine, certainly textural and interesting.

I am not a fan at all of SB’s, but this I would drink.

Very cool that you had 12 of the those. How did it evolve or the 12 bottles and what was the timeframe.

I bought the case in the early nineties on release. As it evolved the wine became more tropical, less grassy and more honeyed. For my taste, the wine became much more interesting after about 15 years. I have some 1998 also which is now absolutely singing

Very cool. Thanks for the info.