2001 Sociando-Mallet

It would seem that RMP might be the only one who has ever given this wine any respect. And even though I acquired it upon release and have checked in with it a few times over the years, I’ve had some serious doubts of my own. On all previous occasions, it definety wasn’t ready and the green component was quite strong. So it was with considerable surprise and pleasure when I revisited it recently, it showed really well. I popped and poured and drank two thirds of the bottle over several hours. It improved with air and the greenness that was previously dominant, was now quite nuanced. (I know the diminishing of the green aspect of a wine with bottle aging goes against conventional wisdom.) It held okay to the second day but did not improve. I think that it will perform beautifully over the next ten years.

Parker has always been a fan of Sociando, and good on him for that. A very reliable wine, year in and year out (almost, anyway). And by the way, Parker’s positive reviews for this wine prove the point that as a critic, he is not always favoring big Garage style wines. Sociando has rather high yields in Bordeaux, by today’s standards, and pickings are never so late as to reach sur maturité. Yes, occasional green pepper notes, but never overbearing, for my palate at least. I really like Sociando Mallet in the more solar vintages such as 05 and 09, because it comes across both fresh and substantial. The 2005 was singing at a lunch at the chateau during en primeur week. Sure, too young, but the texture very fine and much depth.

Glad the 2001 S-M showed well. I have had it twice from 375ml and really enjoyed it, not really understanding the criticisms leveled against it. Some bottle variation I suspect. Other vintages of S-M have shown greener than the 01, IMHO.

Per your quote above, green does fade/change/integrate with time at least in age-worthy wines, in my firsthand experience. I have tried some young Bordeaux that seemed vegetal when young, that 15 years later were show more of tobacco and herbal notes (rosemary, thyme, sage… but no parsley). So I guess I am not on board with the conventional wisdom.

That’s a perfect marriage of Bordeaux overachievers: Sociando Mallet and the 2001 vintage. But I’m not surprised it took a little while to come around.

I’m very curious about the 2000 vintage as I have a case in cold storage.

Leonard

I have a 2000 standing up for tasting some time in the near future

I have a feeling that 2000 is not optimal for the moment. But I would be curious to hear from you David, as I have four or five bottles.

Panos,

My “drink soon queue” is long enough that the Sociando might be ready by the time I get to it.

David Glasser ran a recent thread evaluating the 2000 and said that it showed very well.

Thank you for the info Michael; I seem to recall coming across the rap on Sociandoe oft heard, too green, but that could have been some years ago by now. Could be a stylistic preference or the fact that maybe consumers don’t want to age an upstart 5th Growth for so long.

“My “drink soon queue” is long enough that the Sociando might be ready by the time I get to it.” David Bueker, that’s a riot…

Leonard,

Sociando is not classified. Makes it even worse!