2001 Mosel -- varied vintage assessments 17 years on

It is a vintage I love and still drink regularly. In addition to those producers mentioned I would add Reinholdt Haart and Weins-Prum and Schloss Saarstein. It was the first vintage in which I bought a lot of producers’ auction bottlings at not many more $ than the non-auction bottlings. Indeed, Schaefer’s GD auction spatlese is outstanding.

Just did a rough count and figured that on a conservative basis Ihave bought more than 30 cases of 2001s (some of those half bottles). I still have more than 11 cases and half a case on order. I find it to be one of the few great vintages/wines you can still safely backfill especially off the west coast.

I still have about 20 cases of 2001s. The original purchase was 64 cases. About 8 of those cases were shared with other folks, leaving 56 for me. An irrational quantity, but haven’t regretted a bottle yet.

I just checked, and I’m down to only 6.5 cases of 01 German Riesling! Crap!

Another producer I can’t get enough of in 2001 is Merkelbach. Also by far the best stuff I’ve ever had from there.

IMO, 2012 was better than 2001 for Merkelbach.

David, is it fair to say producers have gotten more consistent since 2001? I mean, each vintage has its own style, but it is hard to imagine a producer like Willi Schaefer whiffing an otherwise great vintage these days. The von Schubert 2001s don’t seem to get great reviews either.

Well I think some producers still miss occasionally. Every vintage is unique, and sometimes people misjudge how to handle it.

IMO, Grunhaus is waaaaaaayyyy better than the reviews. Yes, the wines were grumpy when they came out, but they are gorgeous now. Drink a 2001 Willi Schaefer Auslese, and you won’t think he whiffed.

Good to know, I haven’t had any Merkelbach after 2010 (another vintage of theirs I like a lot).

Merkelbach did make great 2001s. Try the 2015s - also great.

Yes! The 2015 lineup is astounding!

I have. Auction Goldkapsel. That’s why I think he whiffed.

Don’t recall recent 01s from Willi but plenty of Grunhaus Kabs have been lovely.

I don’t buy auction wines. The regular Himmelreich Auslese is amazing.

The only issue with “01 von Schubert wines is they are in the shadow of the “02s. :slight_smile:

Still very happy with the very few left of my 2001 Prum and Donnhoff. Merkelbach, W. Schaefer, Haag, MF Richter, and Selbach-Oster were great but all gone. Wish I’d bought deeper and broader.

I don’t have tons of experience and I’m a fair weather fan, buying selective vintages, and I don’t buy auction wines. Based on that limited experience I’d have to go back to 1990 to find a vintage clearly superior to 2001.

Agreed - that wine was underwhelming. I’ve also had a couple of bottles of various Domprobst Spatlese that were good, but relatively disappointing by Schaefer’s standards.

I’ve had some other 2001 Schaefers that were outstanding (particularly the Kabinetts), but their 2001 lineup for my taste doesn’t show the overall consistency he showed in 2002 or even 2003 (which is a great sleeper vintage there).

Whatever happened to Rovani anyways?

Isn’t he with Remoissenet now?

Your comment on Haart got me to pop an 01 Goldtropfchen Spatlese. It’s absolutely stunning, though with years ahead. The acidity in this is amazing.

Also popped a 2001 MC Burgergarten Spat which was a fireworks display. As usual.