2000 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau

I had the str8 SM 2000 last yr. at a big group tasting which included Ausone, G Larose, Pichon Lalande and other quality growths…SM was my clear WOTN

Robert - thanks! I didn’t exactly dislike the 00, but it really paled in comparison with the JG. Have you tried the latter yet? I’d be interested to know what you think compared to the 01.
As to price, I think there’s a “French exception” again - I trawled through some auction prices and apart from one lot, they were all within 10% of the normal SM price. Admittedly, the sales are few and far between. I think that most people here just assume it’s a second wine or a bottling destined for export.

Marc- that’s a bit weird, but there could well be massive bottle variation - they do produce 400K per year. Sounds like you had one of the good ones, anyway.

Julian I’ve had a case or more of the 2000. There is bottle variation on this one. I’ve experience the range of green to very good/excellent. Have not had the 2000 JG. The 2001 both normale and JG are excellent.

Actually, this makes sense. Quite apart from Marc’s experience, there are too many other discrepancies to put it just down to taste. RMP gave it four very good to excellent reviews without a single remark about unripe fruit - and I don’t believe he was a Chinon fan!

I had a couple bottles of the normal 2000 over the last year or so and I thought it wasn’t excessively green and it was a good value.

This coming from someone who’s never been able to finish a glass of chinon for greenness.