2000 Hubert Lignier Morey St Denis and Gevrey Chambertin behaving splendidly

Had the pleasure of trying both of these within the same week and both wines were not only delicious and drinking well but so clearly showed their vineyard characteristics. Both textbook fine burgs and paired so well with roast chicken.

• 2000 Hubert Lignier Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (8/15/2018)
    Still drinking well and seemingly at its plateau. Delicious beginning to end. Very Gevrey in character with dark fruit, earth and forest floor notes. Fruit is lingering and there is a nice mineral streak. I agree with the below CT note that says this is a deeply satisfying wine.
  • 2000 Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (8/15/2018)
    Drank a couple of days after the 2000 Gevrey Chambertin. This is similar yet so different. Good from beginning to end. The dark fruit is present and this is distinctly more floral and less earth than the Gevrey. A bit more spice and more rounded than the Gevrey Chambertin. Both wines were very good on their own but even more impressive having drank them so close together to be able to see how different they were. Both absolutely delicious wines.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice work Fred.

Y2K!

I’ll pop a MSD 1er Cru VV next time you gather the crew. I love the producer touch but he always lets the commune shine through as you note.

Give them a slight pat on the bum if they ever misbehave!

By any chance, did you buy these from K&L in the past 2 weeks or so?

Sure did.

I saw that!! There was a big drop of old wines in the New Product Feed a week or two ago and the prices were very good ($50 and $60 I recall for the Hubert) but I hesitated as I just bought some pricey wines a few days back. When I decided to go for it, they were gone!! There was a 1999 Gouges Nuits village too for like $45 or $49. Glad they tasted great!

Love this producer and MSD 1er VV is my favorite.

A 2000 Hubert Lignier Gevrey Aux Combottes was delicious, not too long ago.

Matt, that would be awesome! Thank you. Soon I hope.