2 x 2008 Nebbiolo’s with Shocking Results

Ended up with a couple bottles of 2008 Palmina Nebbiolo at a non-profit wine pull this weekend. I know the donor so I believe provenance should be good. Are these hold or ready to go? CT lists 2018 as the ending drink date.

Never had the Nebbiolo, but in my experience Wind Gap syrah and especially the chardonnay are some of the most under the radar wines in all of the New World.

Try one and let us know. Rare that a CA wine from that vintage will need more than 10 years bottle age.

Opened a 2008 Palmina Nebbiolo tonight. Threw lots of sediment but I didn’t stand it up. First taste was very tart with lots of cherry. Let decant an hour and it began to soften. Still a lot of cherry with some prune showing thru. Really nice wine.

I think what’s happening in the US with Nebbiolo is exciting right now. More people are starting to focus in a little bit more on it, with great results. I have a bottle of 1988 Il Podere dell’Olivos Nebbiolo Parabola I’m looking to open soon. Made by Jim Clendenen if I’m not mistaken, curious to see how California Nebbiolo ages…

He brought one of his first ones to a NEB event a few years ago (2016 or so) for the industry tasting. It was holding together and enjoyable. It was a candid taste and discuss session. He provided a sampling of vintages of Nebs he made to show his progression over time. His '08 Clendenen Family was amazing, and the best CA Neb I’ve had. (These spend a long time in barrel. The '09s were just beginning to enter the market.)